Chapter11: Pourquoi

I pushed past the hoards of people searching for an exit that I would recognize

I pushed past the hoards of people searching for an exit that I would recognize. They screamed and yelled at me but I didn't care, I just wanted to get back. I approached an elderly lady with a fruit stall and she smiled warmly at me. "Bonjour" she nodded her head toward me and I gave her a hesitant smile afterwards. "Bonjour, savez-vous où se trouve l'hôtel le plus proche?" I nodded my head absorbing all the information she gave me. 

Unfortunately I didn't have a phone, so there was no way I could use a navigation app. "Merci". She made sure I was hundred percent on the directions before turning to the next costumer. I followed her instructions blocking out the noise of the oblivious shoppers. I came across a small band playing on cans and beating drums. A little boy sang with the sweetest voice and my mind became enchanted. 

I giggled as he blew me a light kiss. I held my arms out before placing them on my chest. He was so cute! Small black round glasses highlighted his hazel eyes.  The crown applauded signalling showing it was the end of their little performance. The brown curly haired boy skipped over to me, it was only then I noticed his clothes were messy and dirty". "Bonjour". I was sick of French it reminded me that I was probably never going to go to school again.  I huffed in annoyance "Do you speak English?" 

"L'Anglais?" I took a breath trying to calm myself down. Everybody here reminded me of Madame Pourquoi. My French teacher, she was mad. And yes, her name literally meant why. Madame Why. The boy gently tugged on my jacket to gain my attention. After I turned to him he was smiling. "I do spoke English small". I laughed at his mistake and sent him a warm smile. By now he crowds had cleared and the band was packing away their instruments. 

"Come". The little boy beckoned me walking in front. I worried about finding my way back to the hotel, but I pushed the thought aside determined to find his parents. We passed through a small alley and I started to get anxious. It was too dark. The little boy held my hand as we ended up by a railway. Behind the rusty tracks a deserted hill of fine green grass lay. He looked left and right while I wondered if he knew this track was a bit old. There weren't any trains coming. 

We proceeded as he held my hand caring for me as if I was a child. I climbed the hill almost slipping on my steps. He was already sitting at the top chewing on a ruby apple. The view of the city was incredible. The Eiffel tower could be seen by the small shops and cafes. Tons of people hurried on with their daily lives, while I was on top of a hill with a small kid. 

I plopped my self down beside him smiling as the warm breeze touched my skin. He held his half eaten apple towards me and I shook my head silently. He hummed quietly a simple tune ending the peaceful silence. I joined in a few seconds after simply harmonizing it. "Whoah, can you sing?" I jerked my head to the side "a little bit". He moved his head closer to me indicating I should sing for him. 

I cleared my throat before quietly singing the only  section of a french song I knew. He sighed in astonishment as I slowly crooned the solo in 'Caresse Sur L'Ocean' from 'Les Choristes'. Madame Pourquoi showed us the movie at school and I immediately fell in love with the soundtrack, although that solo was the only thing I knew. He loudly clapped, got up and bowed down. I chuckled lightly at the boy's mischievous attitude. "You want to be a singer, grow up. No?" I smiled and nodded my head. 

"Promise, you will sing, yeah". He held out his pinky finger and I interlocked it hesitantly. How was I going to sing when I was stuck with David for the rest of my life?I heard a horn in the distance and the second one seemed closer. A rusty bronze train cam to a stop right in front of us. "This is me" he lifted his hand towards the train which little boys like him were swinging on the edges. The called him out and made kissing noises. 

I waved goodbye as he easily slid down the hill. As he was about to get on the already moving train he halted, "Leo, my name is Leo ". He was adorable, I waved him off as his friend brushed his hair and blew kisses to me. After the train was no more in sight I plopped my self down on the brightly colored grass. How the hell was I supposed to get home?

***********

I arrived at the foot of the stairs tired as hell. I couldn't find my way back forgetting all the directions the lady had told me. Angry men and women shouted at me when I abruptly stopped in my tracks. I went back many time trying to find my way back to the hotel. I asked people but they just screamed et me or ignored me entirely. 

Standing at the foot of the stairs the light was shining on me in the mist of the sun setting. I was famished and so tired I just wanted to drop down on the red carpet and sleep. I walked up the stairs and the guards nodded their heads to me. I heard one of them speak in Italian into this small walkie-talkie. He flinched back in surprise before acting like a statue once again. 

I sighed already predicting what was going to happen when I got back. I arrived on my David and I's floor searching for the smell of food or a bed to sleep in. I dragged my feet lazily across the carpet and turned the left corner. As I was about to pass another corner, David stood there pacing the floor outside his hotel room absolutely raging. I hid behind the corner of the wall praying he didn't see me.  All I needed to do was make it across without him catching me. 

I could then lie that I was at the spa all day. I took a quick breath l planning on ho quick I was going to sprint across the hallway. I peered my head around the corner coming eye to eye with a red faced David. His heavy breathing mixed in with my light pants. Neither of us spoke. He grabbed me forearm painfully hard dragging me towards his hotel suite. He slammed the door shut behind him with his foot before dragging me toward his bedroom. My arm was in so much pain, as I tried clawing at his wrist. Before I knew it I was thrown into a dark room with only a keyhole for light. I ran towards the door only to have it shut in my face. The click of the door made me hyperventilate and start trying to bust it down. 

It became hard for me to breath and I continually punched my hands into the door. I kicked and kicked, even throwing my trainers at the still object. I could feel the sting on my arms and hands from trying to bash the door down. My head started to pound as I let the darkness overwhelm me. My breathing became ragged as I tried to catch oxygen. My throat started o close up as I choked on nothing but fear. "David! David! Let me out, please! David! DAVID!" Tears poured down my cheeks and the salty taste disgusted my tongue. "David Dav-"

 I cried and whimpered sliding against the door till I reached the ground.