Chapter31: Fontaine

The car journey back to the hotel was silent

The car journey back to the hotel was silent. Ivan's chatty mouth was kept quiet even as I sat in the back seat with thin strips of fabric covering my body.

I could see by the looks on their faces that they were used to this. The killing, blood and death threats. They were staying quiet for me, I couldn't handle this. I have never seen the man in my life but, death scared me.

The feeling of someone's life being taken away because of you wasn't pleasing. Though, looking around me the men in the car clearly gave me glances to see if I would break down again. David held an arm securely around my waist to comfort me.

The sandy beaches passed by as I adjusted my top. Greens suddenly mixed with white and blue as Dom sped past the Italian seasides. The air was thick but no one dared to open a window. My skin had a extra layer of sweat which is foreign to me. Los Angeles is hot, but it's the situation that is causing me to sweat.

Someone dangerous was after me. Not David. Not Dominic. Not Ivan.

Me.

"Stop over-thinking things". Davids deep voice knocked out of my session and I jumped in surprise. My perplexed look ws enough to convince him I thought he was crazy.

There was a crazy man on the loose most likely trying to kill me  or torture me to out David. "I told you not to over think things". David held the bottom of my chin tightly. His grip was strong but not enough to hurt me. His eyes bored into mine searching for confirmation that I was going to listen to what he said. "He is not going to take you". For a second his barriers broke down and I saw him strip before my eyes. He was bare, but as soon as Ivan turned his eyes darkened once again. He dropped his hand and ignorantly stared outside the car window the sun bouncing of his skin.

I sighed heavily and my mind buried itself in scenarios. Kidnapping, robbery this was not going to stop. "David". His head turned my direction and the restless look in his eyes was enough to tell me he was worried.

For once his hair was unruly out of place and he had little stress wrinkles on the edge of his eyes. The mafia leader was not perfect. He had blemishes, worries, imperfections. But unlike others, he wasn't aloud to show them. Now that I think of it, I knew little to nothing about the man I was married to. He spoke about Claire and Helga .

I knew nothing about the mafia excluding from my theories connected to 'the Godfather'. I knew nothing about David. His dark past, his hurtful childhood. David never opened up like that to me.

His hand reached my face again and he leaned in for a slow kiss. Our lips molded slowly and passionately although our minds were to occupated. "Who is he David?"

His eyes fell but was soon replaced with a darkened rage. This man made him angry. His eyebrows furrowed and his mouth wrinkled slightly. "Nicolas De La Fontaine".

Opposing to David, and in contrast to Ivan. This man took the idea to stay hidden rather than disguise themselves as a celebrity to the rest of the world. I couldn't decide which tactic was better.

"Nicolas De La Fontaine" his name role off my tongue reminding me of my tiring classes of French. The dark haired adonis grasped and my chin once again and gave me a sickeningly dark look.

"I don't want to hear that abhorrent name come out of your sweet mouth again. Ever". I retracted my face slowly gazing at David. His thickest Italian accent had appeared and his demeanor scared me. The boys in the front sent him warning looks. David closed his eyes tightly shallowing his breaths.

His lips relaxed, and his eyes fell. "I'm sorry my love, I just don't want him to take you away from me. You mean everything to me". Ivan cooed in the front and Dom blew a raspberry. His blonde hair swing forth as he rolled his eyes in exaggeration.

A slow grin crept onto my face as I rested my head on his chest. His warmth collided with mine and his dry chest molded with my cheek. He placed his arm softly around my torso and rested on the crevice between my waist.

"What was that?" Ivan decided to address the elephant in the room and my blood heated. "I don't know right now". David muttered, his forehead crinkled and I wondered why he didn't have much more wrinkles.

"The sniper, aimed. If he was French and he was judging by the accent". David quietly analysed the situation in his head. As he muttered I caught what he was saying and as his voice rose slowly I parted from his body. "French snipers are skilled. If Fontaine sent him he wouldn't have missed. Purposely at least."

"They would never miss unless the wanted that psychopath to have their head. He never shot any of us, but he was extremely close. As if he was warning us or...... Distracting us".

"Wai-"

The security SUV in front of us rumbled slightly and a loud banging sounded through the air. Closing my eyes I held my hands to my ears. My head banged and throbbed at the sudden pain.

Closing my eyes tight, I shook my head for the beep to stop. The pain didn't die down as I swivelled back and forth. I opened my eyes to find my self on the floor. Rubble decorated the ground and smoke filled the air. I coughed continuously trying to clear my breathing. My skin stung at the multiple cuts that would need to be treated.

The dark most blocked my vision as I tried to lift myself up. I shakily moved my hands up and place them in the stone road. My hands contorted and I fell to the ground smacking my head once again.

My legs refused to move as my eyes searched for help. My eyes started to fail and shut. Looking around and forcing the open. I helplessly searched for him in vain. Polished black shoes appeared in front of my eyes. I reached my head up looking into my captors face. The smog blocked my vision but my body was too weak to fight. I lay my head down and finally let the darkness take me once again.