Chapter43: Goodbye

Everyone important known to the Russian and Italian  mafia empire were here

Everyone important known to the Russian and Italian  mafia empire were here. All dressed in black mourning Ivan Klavouski. He had family and friends just like any other person would. Much to my surprise we mingled together though you could slice the tension in the air with a knife. They all had sad smiles on their faces and interacted. The veins in their necks popped and some glared at me. I was definitely being blamed by those people. I blamed myself too.

The smiles and laughs may have been fake, but all I cared about was making this day peaceful for Ivan. He deserved nothing less. In the short time I had known him, he made me know what love really was, between friends and family.

My parents were already buried I decided not to have a big funeral, with only David, Dom, Claire, Helga, the new personal body guard David had hired for me and I. I threw the first fist of dirt on their graves soaking it in bitter tears. But today was Ivan's day.

A the priest stood up by the coffin, he called Dominic up to the altar to say his speech. Dom went up to speak. He had tears in his eyes, and bags under hem. Sweat poured from his head, I think the shock of his best friend being gone hadn't registered. And he was next in line for the Russian Mafia throne. The pressure put upon him so quickly was crazy and I don't think he's handling it very well. He coughed to clear his throat but even as he started his voice was cracking. I had never seen Dominic so sad, empty and sleep deprived. Ever.

"Umm th- tha- thank you all for coming today. W-we are h-h-here to celebrate the life- ". I felt sorry for him. I knew what Ivan meant to him even if he refused to show it. Dominic only listened to him and everytime he glanced his way he seemed grateful. Moving forward from my seated position David stood up placing his hand on my lower back. Helga followed closely behind. We reached the top of the altar before Claire joined us placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. A ruby blush covered the russian's face.

"Here I can do it, you've been through enough".

"Thank you Saryah, Ivan would be so proud of you". He handed me his speech. I declined pushing it against him. My family stood behind me and that was all needed. The hall fell silent as they awaited on me. The stage  fright suddenly built up in my throat and I found it hard for me to swallow.

"Thank you all for joining us here today. My name is Saryah Hamilton. Ivan was my loyal friend, we have only known each other for a short time but he became one of my closest friends. And now I consider him as family.  He was more like my older brother. We had many experiences during that time. We laughed, we cried, we fought, and laughed again. I can go on for hours talking about the kind of person he was but, I think many of you here already know. Ivan was one of the friendliest, sweetest, most comprehensive, and humble person I ever met in my life. He acted like an overgrown child at times but when things were about hurting people he cared for he'd turn into a mindless monster. Always worrying about the welfare of others after the spotlight was taken off him of course".

By this time everyone was laughing, and my nerves flew away. Stray tears escaped my eyes but looking backwards Dom was crying more than me. I smiled at him and he returned a bigger but more broken one. "He had a big smile but an even bigger heart. And a week and two days ago I lost a friend, a brother and potential third party in my marraige" I giggled along with the congregation. "But now my prayers and yours are gone up to heaven where he is now".

The priest stood up clapping and came to take over the rest of the service. We all made our way down to our seats. After announcing that we were heading to the funeral ground I excused myself to use the restroom. I walked as fast as I could failing to hide my stumbles. In the bathroom I threw some cold water on my make up less face and breathed a sigh of relief.

The final cubicle in the restroom opened up creaking over the sound of the toilet flushing and a tall woman stepped out. She examined herself in the mirror and fixed her abnormal red hair. It almost looked devilish. She had bright red lipstick on and a scarlet dress that clung temptingly to her body. She was gorgeus. I instantly felt insecure due to me looking like I had just woke up. Excluding the loose jumpsuit I wore.

I turned to leave the bathroom before David started to worry and start a conflict between the two countries.

"You should have gone while you could".

Confusingly with an eyebrow raised I turned back to her only to see her staring emptied into the mirror. Her eyes moved to my way but she still didn't turn to me. "Trust me Nikolas was much better than David. An upgrade even".

I snapped at her without thinking. "You don't know anything about us. David loves me". I caught her eyebrow slightly twitch nd her lip draw up. "Well then you're too late. His darkness is captivating. He isn't who he seems to be right now. As the journey goes on, every chance you have to escape take it. Trust me. Now that he has you, he will take you through everything. You thought Nikolas was bad. You haven't seen half of that cult they call a mafia. You will die there if you don't leave. He won't let you go. You will die there. LISTEN TO ME PLEASE!" Her voice raised as she saw me scrambling for the door handle. Black tears poured down her face as she tried to reach for my clothes with her long nails. Scrambling for the door knob I pushed it down and took off running. David saw me and sighed in relief. He placed a small kiss on my forehead and I involuntarily flinched. Sending me a small and tight smile he held my hand as we exited the church. I looked back to see the girl from the bathroom glaring David and I's way.

She was crazy.