Chapter19: Read Me

I jumped out of bed flipping the duvet in the process, I needed to wake up before David did

I jumped out of bed flipping the duvet in the process, I needed to wake up before David did. I rushed to the bathroom turning the knobs of the shower before peeling my clothes off. Stepping into the shower the freezing water stung my back first before taking me by surprise. I jumped back falling onto the tiles in the process. I used my hands to steady the fall only ending up with a unbearable pain in my left wrist. I'm such an idiot. 

I used my good hand to hoist my self back up and wash my body carefully. Even though I was in pain I couldn't stop smiling. If my plan worked I would be going home soon.  

I stumbled out of the bathroom drying my hair and throwing on a yellow sundress. I wasn't in the mood to wear make up and it would be crooked anyways, considering I probably sprained my wrist. I stuffed the rest of my stuff and the hairdryer back into the wardrobe Helga had arranged for me when was knocked out. 

I sprinted towards the door and made sure to straighten my dress before proceeding to the kitchen. Knives of all brands and steel pots hung from the ceiling. The silver polished surface reflected my amazed face. Everything screamed rich, basically and it was heaven for me. I loved music, but cooking was one of my favorite things to do. Testing the job I squealed in delight it reminded me of home, except we had a bigger kitchen and there were polished wood surfaces. 

Looking into the fridge and cupboard I decided on what to make for breakfast. "What are you doing?" A deep voice from behind made me jump in fright. I turned my back and suddenly fell into a trance. His hair was a complete mess yet it had my knees buckling. His eyes we so full of wonder but something else was hidden in them. "How can you do that?" He whispered frustratingly at me while I stood there silent as if I had lost my voice. My eyes wandered back to his as he blinked slowly. "Do what?" My voice came out as a bare shy mimic of his own. 

"Read me. You do it so easily. Well I can read you too". My eye brows furrowed in confusion, he could read me? "What?"

He hurriedly interrupted me, "you wore a yellow sundress".  I looked down staring at the bright clothing that covered my body. "You probably wanted to wear something different, but you were in a hurry. Thus, throwing on a brighter dress to distract people from your face, which I think is even more beautiful when you don't wear make up by the way". 

I stared at him in shock and my body refused to move. I was so confused yet amazed at the same time. The sound of the fridge opening broke me from my wandering ideas. "I don't really cook, or know how to so tell me what to do and I'll help you". I turned my back and stared at the ingredients he had brought out. Bread. Flour. Eggs. Bacon. Vanilla? 

My mind silently calculated while I grimaced at his lingering stare. Eggs Benedict. Crunchy bacon topping. Vanilla french toast. I got to work trying my hardest not to show him I had hurt my wrist. I didn't want those blue eyes to watch me in care, especially when it was all fake. 

Picking up the egg crate I dropped them immediately holding my wrist in pain. The area continued to throb while I hissed at the rhythmic stings. David cursed and turned his unwanted attention towards me.  "Are you okay, what happened to you're wrist?"