Chapter14: Not Fair

My head was throbbing in complete and utter pain

My head was throbbing in complete and utter pain. I couldn't bring myself to open my eyes or even the rest of my aching body. Darkness that was all I could see, everywhere around me pitch black. Was I dead? Hearing voices I still couldn't lifted my body or at least give them a sign that I was there my mind was at a confusing ease. I was alive? I rested my being for a second before using all the tiny strength I had to open my orbs. Pushing with all the energy in my I failed. Repeat the process. Failed. Repeat.  Failing once again I let the darkness engross me and allowed my mind and soul fall into a deep slumber. 

My fist collided with the punching bag once again as I strained my muscles to retract

My fist collided with the punching bag once again as I strained my muscles to retract. I brought my fist to my eyes seeing the sanguine liquid slowly ooze out of the anew open cuts. I brought my leg up kicking the stiff object with force. It swung back heading straight to me. I welcomed the lifeless sack as it smacked into my upper abdomen. 

As I held it back a stinging sensation caught my attention and I turned my gaze down towards my knuckles. Blood started to seep out of freshly opened cuts and cursed lowly. I covered the wounds with the tainted bandage and brought  my fist up for another collision. 

Why was I getting so worked up about this girl? I barely even knew her? Nevertheless, she was my quee- I mean my Mafia's queen. Frustratingly  I threw my hand into the grey dangling object once more. 

A loud cough interrupted my work out and I stared at the entrance irritatingly. Helga stood there meaning on the door. She wore a floor length summer dress the color of her emerald eyes. I watched and nodded my head edging her to go on. 

Wait.

 Why wasn't she with Saryah. I shoved the punching bag away from me and stalked past the elderly woman. As I was about to sway past her before she gripped onto my sweaty bicep. "This wont fix anything". She whispered slowly and brought a wet cloth from the table near the door frame. Dabbing my knuckles slowly she hummed a soft song to probably ease down my anger. 

Taking a few breaths my body relaxed and I became very tired. Helga and I strolled through the halls while I tried to keep my eyes open. We arrived at the hotel room and the doctor was waiting patiently staring at her watch. A fake wide smile appeared on her face as she glanced our way. 

"Mr. Gandy, she is in a peaceful state in which she could wake up anytime soon. We hope" she muttered the last bit under her breath but I managed to catch it. "We hope?" I grew agitated and towered over her. "What's that supposed to mean. "We hope?"

The doctors face grew more anxious signalling Helga to pull me back and give me a warning look. I glared at her causing her to pinch my waist. Flinching I fixed my posture and turned back towards the woman in white. 

"Well" a small sweat trickled down her forehead indicating she was nervous. In a flash I caught her pulling her collar and brushing her hair back.  A total of three sweats dropped down her forehead. She was scared. This won't be good. 

"If she tries to wake up and struggles way too hard". She droned on about unnecessary rubbish while I longingly stared into the bedroom. "It could lead to a seizure. And she might... um". I pulled her closer to me her collar. Helga stood there surprisingly, too baffled to speak to me at all. 

"What".

"Shecoulddie" she let the sentence flow out of her mouth in one word resulting in me dropping her to the ground. My eyes refused to blink and my breathing slowed down. 

That was it. I killed her. The on person I started to happily tolerate was going to die because of me. I felt like the world had stopped. Helga was crouched down beside the beetroot red doctor, none of the guards were anywhere to be seen, and she just laid there. Through the cream doors, she just laid there.  Silent.

Peacefully sleeping, skin light as an angel but appeared paler. I stormed off towards one of the guest rooms slamming the door in rage. 

I quickly paced the Persian carpet trying to rid my mind of her. I closed my eyes forcefully. Why do I care? There are many willing ladies that would marry me and take on the mafia.  But, there was something special about her. I don't know how I knew it, but I just did. 

She was different from other women. The first day I met her, she wasn't afraid of me nor did she try to seduce me, she, in fact, screamed at me. Not caring who I was but defended her family. 

The same way she would defend her mafia. I mean being beautiful was just a perk for me. A few moments later I was joined by a stressed and worn out looking Helga. "David, what you did back there was wrong". 

I huffed and turned my head away from her. "She's been twitching. For a while now". She was almost waking and nobody informed me. I snapped my head back to the elderly woman surprised I didn't get whiplash. "Why didn't you tell me" my voice laced with anger and betrayal. 

"I didn't want to get you're hopes up. I know you have feelings for her". My patience started to waver as I stared Helga straight in the eyes. "How many times will I telly you. I. Don't. Have. Feelings. For. Her" I broke up my words making my words appear cut and furious. 

"Then why else David! Why would you string her along! Take her out for dinner! Pretend you're a nice person to make her develop feelings for you, jut so you can throw her away and search for another potential queen. It's not fair". I stared at Helga, her eyes started to water and my heart almost broke. My demeanor died down before the words replayed in my head once more. 

Feelings indicate weakness.

My mask became cold and emotionless, I won't show a sign of any feeling. It only makes the weak weaker, and the enemy stronger. "If she is developing feelings," it took every fiber in my being to let out what I really wanted to say, but I couldn't. Not today. Not ever.

"She might as well die then".