two

Aliza's PoV

New city. New me.

I read that somewhere while I was waiting to board my plane and as I pounded at my phone to turn the deafening alarm off, I realised just how much bullshit that really was. I mean, can you ever really be a new you? Because I thought I would start waking up early and do something productive before starting work on Monday but it was 7.30am on a sunny Thursday and I wasn't planning on going anywhere except sinking further into my bed.

Two hours later I finally got the power and will to get up and pee. I brushed my teeth, washed my face and quickly got dressed but as I sat down around the island in my kitchen I realised, I have nothing to do. I had no friends or family in the city, my job as a doctor in a nearby hospital didn't start until Monday which was 4 days away and I'd already unpacked all my stuff. It felt unusual. I'd grown up with a constant nagging in the back of my head that had been telling me I needed to get up and do something. Although 90 percent I ignored that voice, it felt weird that it was no longer there.

I guess that's what happens when you leave all your responsibilities 3000 miles away.

Then an idea popped into my head. And it involved chocolate. Lots of it. As all the best things in life do.

An hour and a half later I had finished baking the triple chocolate brownies, that I didn't even realise I was craving until I pulled out the sugar, and was casually scrolling through my phone waiting for them to cool when I heard the faint sound of keys jumbling just outside my door.

I had forgotten about Steve, especially since the past few days I'd been sleeping in and spending all my time inside my apartment. But now that I know he's home, I thought maybe I should go give him some. You know, do the typical friendly neighbour stuff. I quickly took some brownies out the pan, cursing when the first slightly burned my fingers, and arranged them on a cake stand. I stepped into the hallway. It smelt really good. Like guys perfume.

I could get used to this.

I raised my fist to softly knock on his door but stopped myself, my inner thoughts taking over the rational side of me. 'What if he's busy. He probably doesn't want to see me. I mean he helped me with my luggage, that hardly makes us friends. God I should have tasted them before I dragged myself out here like an overexcited teenager. He's probably gonna hate them. Shit. Okay. Fuck it. What the fuck am I saying? Shit I've been standing here for too long. What if he's looking through his door hole thingy? Okay. Whatever. I've done worse than this.'

'Knock Knock'

I stood outside, my foot tapping on the floor and I nervously looked around the hallway.
The door creaked open and lo and behold there stood Steve. Shit. I had forgotten how handsome he was.

"Hey! I was wondering where you had gotten to. I hadn't seen you for a few days there but then remembered you've probably got jet lag and you're busy settling in and-" He stopped midway as I raised an eyebrow at his unexpected excited expression. I suppressed the urge to laugh but an embarrassed one escaped his lips before he rubbed the back of his head and nonchalantly leaned up against his doorway. "Sorry, how are you ma'am?" I zoned out for a second there but quickly licked my lips and began talking.

"I thought I told you not to call me ma'am. We're neighbours now which means I guess we're kind of friends and kind of friends call each other by their first names. And to answer what you were wondering, I've just spent the last few days cooped up at home trying to unpack all my stuff. Anyways, forget that, I baked brownies. I had a friend who always told me to start any and all relationships with chocolate so... here." I handed the plate to him, trying not to ogle at the sight of his big arms.