fourty seven

Aliza's PoV

I stepped out of the elevator exhausted and ready to jump in to bed but there was something I needed to do first. I held the box in my hands as the excitement built up to give it to Steve. With Bucky, I got a bit more emotional than I probably should have but when the walls came down, they came crashing. As much as I don't want to admit it, there was something happening but hopefully we could get on the road back to being us.

I went to the living room first, shocked to see the lights off and no one in there. This place is usually bustling since every night is movie night. As I stopped to listen, I noticed how quiet the tower actually was. The only sound was the eerie one of the wind whistling outside. I couldn't help but feel like something was wrong. I know Bucky was called in on a last minute mission but did that mean the rest of the team did as well? Honestly, I thought it was weird since it's the evening now but I didn't exactly have the energy to fight it. My head snapped to the side where I heard the elevator ding. But before I could see who was inside, the glass box moved, leaving me in a state of pure confusion. Instead of sitting there and dwelling on it, I decided to make my way to my room so I could at least change out of my dirty clothes before I go talk to Steve, if he was even here.

The sound of my footsteps resonated around the hallway and just as I entered my room, I got a text from an unknown number making me stop in the doorway.

Brace yourself ;)

What the hell? How do all these unknown people get my number? I looked up but my eyes settled on a figure sitting on my bed in the dark. My hand fumbled to turn on the light and I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Steve! You scared me. Why are you just sitting in the dark?" I asked as I made my way in. He was sitting on my bed with his hands clasped forward and his chin resting on them. He didn't answer me and I was about to ask again when my eyes settled on what was beside him. My palms began to sweat and my heart beat picked up rapidly.

"Steve...listen-"

"What could you possibly have to say to me now?" He interrupted, still not facing me. I put the box down on my dresser and slowly made my way to him. I glimpsed down at the letter I received from Ahmad and the passes I ordered for Bucky and I so we could go see him. I had that done a few days ago because I had decided I would go. I wanted to hear what the man had to say but I was hoping neither Steve nor Tony would find out. I guess I was wrong. I was slightly confused as to how the passes even got here since I had them delivered to my office at SHIELD.

"You sat in front of me and told me you would be honest with me. And I said to you that all we ever needed to be was to be honest with each other." His voice was reasonably calm and I was waiting for the blow up.

"So why would you not tell me about this?!" He stood up, chucking the papers across the room and startling me.

There it was.

"And on top of that, Bucky knew and you were going to take him with you!" He let out a short bitter laugh and I watched on slightly intimidated.

"I didn't tell you because I knew you would try and talk me out of it."

"Of course I would! What could the man possible have to say to you? What do you have to say to him?" He was pacing up and down the room, his hands on his hips and his voice significantly louder than mine.

"I don't know. That's exactly why I'm going." I was exasperated but tried to stay calm to not make this an even bigger fight but I had a sinking feeling in my stomach that that was pointless, especially when a question arose in my mind.

"Wait, where did you even get them from?"

He stopped pacing and stopped, looking around almost nervously. "Does that matter?"