fifty six

Aliza's PoV

"Woah."

I stepped through the large arched doors and the click clack of my heels came to an instant stop as my eyes wandered around event room B, or as the signs propped up outside the doors had written on them, 'Aliza and Steve's Rehearsal Dinner'.

The room was large enough to fit almost 500 people in and judging by the guest list, that was definitely needed. The shimmering gold lights that surrounded each table were twinkling bright and lighting the room up in an almost ethereal fashion. For now the tables were empty but in about twenty minutes or so when they would start filling up, the guests would be greeted with their name on a place card, a beautiful swan made from napkins and a small gift bag with some wedding party favours, courtesy of Stark Industries. Waiters and waitresses buzzed around and small chatter was arising from them as we all entered the room but I was focused on the glittering chandelier, that looked like about the size of a car, just gently dangling from the ceiling. A soft smile slowly arose on my lips as I took it all in. The feeling of having something on paper come to life in the most beautiful way, it was just indescribable.

The next place my eyes wandered to was the long table all the way at the back of the room. The table was directly in front of a wall of roses and more string lights, which was inspired by the set up Steve had when he proposed to me. The table, thanks to Tony's demand we use his credit card for some wedding shopping, was fully encrusted with diamonds. This only made it stand out even more. And stand out it should because that table was going to be the table that in a couple of days, I would be sitting on as Mrs Steve Rogers. 

My mind was in the clouds as thoughts about life as a married woman swirled around but I was soon interrupted when Bucky came barrelling in, almost knocking in to me in the process. I think it was safe to say he didn't want to spend his Friday night in an event hall eating food that was practically the size of a grape in his super soldier hands.

"Why are we even doing this? Do we really need to practise eating?" He mumbled as he fiddled with the collar on his shirt. I was about to open my mouth to respond but Nat beat me to it. I couldn't help but snicker as she swatted his untucked shirt and tie that was barely held together.

"No, but you do need to practise proper etiquette in public."

Bucky glared at her but when she glared fiercely back, he instantly dropped his gaze and swiftly moved away from her. Quite wise on his part.

Just as I put a foot in front of me to move forward myself, a wave of nausea passed over me and I stilled in my spot for the second time tonight. I gritted my teeth together and discreetly turned to the side to hide the fact that I probably looked like I was about to spew my guts out right here. But as history has shown, you can't exactly hide something from someone who was genetically enhanced to notice everything.

Steve gripped on to my hand, squeezing it and slowly circling his thumb on the back of my hand. His deeply concerned voice was low in my ear and I harshly swallowed to push away the vomit and suppress everything running through my mind as I felt his breath against my neck.

"Are you okay? You look a little flushed. You're not still ill, are you?"

A quiet and deep breathe escaped and I then turned towards him, flashing him a small but forced smile.

"Yeah, no. I'm great."

My acting obviously wasn't convincing enough as he pulled me slightly to the side, away from the bickering assassins. My palms began to sweat as he began to inspect me a little bit closer. The worry in his eyes only increased as my heart began to beat faster, something I was hoping he couldn't hear.