four

Aliza's PoV

My first shift was a disaster.

First of all, everyone kept on making stupid British jokes. Then it moved on to asking stupid British trivia. Then it was just plain stupid questions. There was one dick who was a little bit too close for my liking and when I asked him to back it up he responded with a 'Don't pretend you don't like it honey.' Like what the fuck? Creepy much? All I know is, I need to take a long shower after that.

The person I reported to wasn't all bad. I mean, she asked me to get coffee for her like 4 times, once in the middle of a consultation with a patient. What is it with Americans and coffee? Probably the same thing with British people and their tea actually. I think she forgot I was there to actually help people and not be her personal assistant but I'm sure as time goes on that will sort itself out...

That's what I was choosing to believe anyway.

The hospital was located right in the centre of New York so I was expecting something beautiful and I wasn't disappointed. Apparently it's funded by some man named Tony Stark, I think it was? The name seemed familiar but I couldn't figure it out. But whoever he was, he was doing it right.

I dragged myself out the hospital doors while waving goodbye to the security guard who I had a nice conversation with during my lunch break. I was ready to sleep but home was still a good twenty minute walk away and even the thought of it made my limbs ache.

I was walking, listening to music with my headphones in when I got a sudden uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. This was not a feeling that was foreign to me. My eyes darted around the street to find it was empty but that didn't make me feel any better. It was almost pitch black outside, the only light from the dim street lamps, and it was  unnerving to know I wasn't anywhere near my apartment building yet. I continued walking but couldn't shake the feeling that there was somebody behind me. I slowly pressed a button to turn off my music and instantly stiffened as I heard the sound of footsteps behind me. I felt the presence right behind me so I slowly stuffed my phone and headphones into my bag, and then turned around to be face to face with the follower. I heard a car in the far distance but was too focused on the idiot opposite me.

Before I even had a chance to get a word out, the man snarled. Quite timidly if I was being completely honest.

"Lady. We can do this the easy way or the hard way. Now give me your stuff or I'll have to take it. And I'd hate to mess with that pretty face of yours."

"Aww you think I'm pretty?" I sarcastically teased before I grabbed him by the shoulders and kneed him in the baby makers. His eyes widened and his hand flew straight to his crotch.

"What the fuck! Are you crazy?! You're going to regret that, you bitch!"

He lunged forward but I quickly grabbed his hands and twisted them around until his back was pressed against my front. I freed one arm and placed it around his throat, all while keeping his hands behind his back.

"And you're getting beat up by a girl."

I spun him around and punched him in the throat. The quick blow cause him to fall on to his knees and struggle for breath as one hand started massaging his neck. While he was bent down, I roundhouse kicked him in the face. That was the one. He slumped to the floor, knocked out. As I stood over him panting, I couldn't help but find the unmoving figure with his mouth wide open and limbs spread out like a star fish amusing.

"Word of advice, don't quit your day job."

'Beep Beep' I was startled to say the least to hear the sound of a car from next to me. I looked over just as the window was rolling down of a black Mercedes to reveal...Steve.