forty two

1 month later

Aliza's PoV

I ran through the hallways, boots stomping all the way. Picture frames and ornaments passed me in a whirlwind as I pushed myself to go faster. I finally saw the open doors of the jet sitting on our balcony and casually walked in as if my heart wasn't beating a million miles an hour. While no one was looking I bent down and placed my hands on my knees so I could stretch and catch my breath.

"You're late."

I could envision the cocky smile from here.

I exhaled deeply, straightening up. I crossed the small jet and slumped in to one of the pilots seats, all the while avoiding his gaze from his beautiful blue eyes, knowing if I didn't, I would probably fall and embarrass myself. He sat down in the seat next to me.

"Aren't you the guy who slept in for 70 years that one time?" I finally lifted my eyes and met his.

His fingers moved about the controls briefly. The jet doors shut and I felt us descend in to the air before Steve switched on auto pilot and turned to face me.

"I don't recall that being my fault." He pointed out with a cheeky smile and raised eyebrows. I suppressed the urge to grin along with him but that went out the window a few seconds in.

"I'll give you that one Rogers."

I leaned back in the chair and stared out the window, watching us delve further in to the clouds. The city looked beautiful from up here. All you could see were tiny dots of light.

"Is there a reason why Fury insisted only me and you for this mission?" I asked while fiddling with the zip on my suit.

"Actually, he didn't. I did."

My head turned to face Steve. I'm sure he could tell by my furrowed brows how confused I was at that.

"Really? Why?"

He sighed and grabbed my hands, rubbing the back of them with his thumbs. We always do this to each other when we're nervous or want to calm each other down.

"Ever since you joined S.H.I.E.L.D, we haven't really seen a lot of each other. And don't get me wrong, I love that you're happy here. When I pass by and see you in training or in the medical wards, I can see that smile on your face. It's just, I miss you. The only time I get to see you properly is when we're on a mission together, and even then Stark always wants you as his partner, and the other time is right before we go to sleep, because for some reason you love going to de brief Fury straight after. I thought we could at least spend some time together if I got you on a mission alone."

Steve was right. After the HYDRA mission last month, I had started with S.H.I.E.L.D straight away, diving head first in to the trainings with the team but I also asked Fury if I could work with the medical staff. I loved being a doctor and it was something I was good at so I wasn't going to just drop it. If I wasn't in the medical ward, I was in training. If I wasn't in training, I was on a mission. If I wasn't on a mission, I was with Fury and if I wasn't with Fury, I was sleeping. The past month had been pretty hectic but it was only because I wanted to prove myself. And prove myself I did. Not only did I kick ass on those missions, Fury also put me on the team with the Avengers, which believe me, he explicitly explained he didn't have to do.

"Steve. I'm so sorry. I didn't meant for this to happen. The past month has just been so busy with me trying to get my feet on the ground and show that I'm not just here because of you or because of Tony. But I don't think I have to do that anymore, so after this mission, I'm all yours." I leaned forward and placed a quick peck on his lips.