fourty five

Aliza's PoV

It was a Monday which automatically meant the day was going to be shit. Today I woke up with the inability to push away the feeling of dread that had implanted itself in me the second I had accidentally fallen in to the trap of agreeing to go with Steve to headquarters. Fury had organised a meeting with the board of directors regarding the future of the Avengers. Since no one else had volunteered, the responsibility had fallen on to the Captain's shoulders and I guess since we were in a relationship, that automatically meant they were on mine too.

"Are you sure I have to go too?" Steve dragged me by the arm in to the kitchen, saying we only had 10 minutes before we were going to leave. Steve knew all too well that if he listened to me complaining for too long he would give in and let me stay home to laze about, which is exactly why he was trying to get me out of the tower as quickly as possible. He leaned against the counter as I kept the puppy dog face up as best I could.

"You're the one who said you love public speaking."

"I only said that to kiss up to Fury! No one like getting up in front of a bunch of strangers and talking Steve. Did you not remember anything from school?"

"Since the last time I went to school was 80 years ago, I'm going to go ahead and say no."

I rushed to Tony's side and hugged him from behind. "I think Tony needs me here anyway. Right Carebear?" I nudged him to agree with me but he continued texting away on his phone, without even a glance up.

"If by 'need' you mean 'have you watch as I build the future' then yeah, I need you." He replied back monotonously.

"He's just joking." I attempted to save myself but Tony was not cooperating.

"With you and those slippers, I don't need to tell jokes."

I looked down to see that when getting out the bed I had slipped on the Captain America slippers I had bought to annoy Steve. I stamped Tony's foot with my own and glared as he winced in pain. Steve rolled his eyes as he grabbed the cereal from the cupboard.

"See, Tony doesn't need you."

"Yeah but..." I looked around and spotted Sam and Natasha watching tv and chattering amongst themselves. "I totally forgot! Natasha, Sam and I were going to do this new training exercise and I think they're both only available during the hours of 11 to 2."

He narrowed his eyes at me and he didn't look too convinced. "Convenient how those are the exact hours I said I would need you for."

"Oh wow. I didn't know that." I acted dumb but I'm sure he could see right through my facade. "What a coincidence but it's really important. Right guys?" Natasha and Sam perked up as soon as they heard their names and smirked as they heard my quick excuse. They both looked at each other before shaking their heads no. I raised my hands as if to say 'seriously guys' but they both just shrugged and turned back to the television.

I cursed them and turned back to Steve who had crossed arms and one eyebrow raised. "Really important huh?"

At that moment, Bucky walked in to the room. I quickly grabbed his arm and pulled him next to me. "Bucky asked me to take him shopping." I blurted out before I could stop myself or even stop to think whether it's a believable excuse. Judging from the expression on his face, I don't think it was.

"I did?" I gave him a look and he cleared his throat before turning back to Steve.

"I did." He pronounced much more firmly.

I beamed at Bucky and looped his arm through my own.

Steve eyed us both cautiously and I thought I saw a hint of jealousy stirring behind those eyes but it disappeared as quickly as it came.