thirty seven

Steve's PoV

It was a normal Saturday. Which is why Tony thought it would be a good idea to throw a party. Whilst the usual reasons were for his own honour or celebrating a victory, this one was just because he wanted to. I know Aliza didn't like the party scene but I could tell from her face that she felt too bad to object when Tony approached her with the idea.

So now, I'm standing on one end of the room while she's on another. Each time I go to approach her, someone stops, asking for a second and I was tempted not to give them one but I sucked it in and put on the fake smile I had kept on this whole evening. Although I was feeling a little low, I would look over to Aliza and that feeling would disappear. She was sat at the bar, sipping on her usual non alcoholic mocktail, talking to Natasha and Sam who had come in so they could see how she was doing. Wanda was behind the bar while Clint was propped on it, listening to every word that was coming out of her mouth. She looked angelic. Her hands were moving about as if she was telling some invigorating story and they were all captivated. She always did know how to get the attention of those around her and it didn't help that she looked absolutely beautiful. Her hair was curled and ran down her back, covering what the dress didn't. Thankfully the dress covered mostly everything else with the teal, silk material that she ran her fingers along every so often. I could tell that men were staring at her and it made my blood boil but there wasn't much I could do standing on this end. I wanted nothing more than to be over there with her but I was currently in a conversation with a General that I had accidentally not caught the name of.

"Captain? Are you okay?"

I was brought back in to reality at the sudden jolt from the mans voice. "Yes, Sorry. Just slightly distracted. Sorry, you were saying?"

"Yes. I was just explaining the..." I drifted off again as I turned my head slightly to fix my gaze back on Aliza. She was fiddling with her glass as she listened to whatever Sam was saying. She let out a loud laugh and I laughed along with her as if I knew what the joke was.

"Sorry, Captain. If there's somewhere else you'd rather be, I'd be more than happy to let you get along."

I looked at the man with apologetic eyes as I glanced back at Aliza. He followed my gaze and a smirk made its way on to his face. He patted my shoulder and grabbed another glass of champagne off the tray that was passing by us.

"Ah. So it's a girl. Run along, I know young love when I see it."

I thanked him before hurrying off towards Aliza. Just as I was taking steps away from the previous General, another man approached me. It took all my self control to not groan.

"Captain! What a pleasure to see you here."

"Likewise. How are you?"

He was babbling on and I felt awful to not be listening but I looked away the first chance I got. This time, my gaze burned into the back of some unknown mans head. I furrowed my eyebrows at the spot Aliza was standing in just a few minutes ago. The man slightly moved to the side and I gripped my glass tighter. He was standing there with Aliza and by the looks of it, not just to have a friendly chat.

The man who had approached me shook my hand and made his way in to the party as I stood, leaning against the wall watching. He was standing in front of her in a nice suit and I scowled at the thought of him trying to flirt with her. She brushed a piece of hair behind her ear and nervously chuckled, her eyes moving around the room until they met mine. I immediately stopped the venomous stare I had on the man and replaced it with a loving one for her.

She smiled and I pointed to the man in front of her with a questioning look. She almost laughed but instead gestured to the new but untouched drink that was on the counter in front of her and the one that gave it to her. My smile slightly faltered but I breathed out and sent a wink her way. She giggled and focused her attention back on the man but every few seconds, her eyes would meet mine again. I looked down and swirled my drink, not wanting to see her sitting with this man any longer. The tight lipped smile I had forced on to my face before was replaced with a frown. It was times like these I wish alcohol did get me drunk. Thor wasn't even here to give me some of his Asgardian liquid courage.