fifteen

Aliza PoV

It was now the day of my wedding. Those are words I didn't think I'd ever be saying for at least a few years.
And definitely not in a circumstance like this.

I woke up and was quickly ushered out the house, my mum hell bent on getting us to the venue so I could start to get ready. I honestly didn't see the point in a big wedding when I knew I wasn't going to enjoy it, but who listens to me? All the decisions were made by Maya, from the dress down to the seating plan.

The whole day was a blur. It was like I was having an out of body experience, just watching my lifeless body being flung around from hair, to makeup and then finally to the dress. Everyone's voices were mushing in to one and just became background noise. I hadn't said anything all day because the lump in my throat was so big and the feeling inside my stomach was so strong that I thought if I opened my mouth I'd either start puking or crying or both. Last night I hardly slept, the gravity of the situation finally dawning on me. 'I couldn't go through with this' was the only thought playing on my mind but I didn't know what else to do. There was one voice telling me to just grab my bag and run and then there was another saying and go where? My apartment was probably gone at this point. I didn't have a job and I don't think I'd get a glowing recommendation from them either since I left without giving notice. And let's not forget the fact that I didn't have the money to start all over in  another country. Great.

The heavy jewellery adorned on my forehead didn't help the headache and constant anxiety that was creeping up on me. The finishing touches were put on and I was ready. The wedding was about to start and even the grooms family was here. They were all waiting on me but I asked for a few moments alone. They were all hesitant to give it to me because they thought I would run away like before, but a few threats later, everyone was piling out of my room and I finally had the space to think. The hotel was grand but I wasn't comfortable at all. I was on edge the entire time. I had always been the one in the family to like the simple things, not the things that would make me look better in front of somebody else. My family took the latter approach.

I had been pacing up and down the room for the past ten minutes. It was tiring me out but I couldn't stop myself. My whole body felt like it was itchy. Like I couldn't be comfortable. I wanted so badly to just leave and never come back but that's exactly what I had planned last time and look where I ended up. In the same place I was trying to get away from. I definitely didn't want to get married but what else was I going to do? Memories were trying to seep through my intensive thoughts but I did my best to block them out. If I stopped to think for even a second, the mental breakdown wouldn't be so far behind.

I finally stopped pacing and walked over to the full length mirror, the sound of my anklets resonating around the otherwise silent room. I took my appearance in. My eyes roamed over the full length dress which was beautiful so I had to give my sister credit for that even if she is a poisonous snake. The jewellery was intricate and glistening. It shined like the stars but all I felt was a dull ache in my heart. The woman staring back in the mirror wasn't me. She was somebody who was painted and now expected to let go of the reigns she once had on her own life. I heard the door open and close and assumed it was somebody coming to get me so I regained my composure and was about to turn around and leave when I heard a voice.

"Wow."

It was as if time, accompanied with my heart, stopped. Numbness rushed over me as the voice reverberated around in my head. Nostalgia and memories struck me. I was rooted in my place, unable to move. I squeezed my eyes shut, already scolding my brain for what I thought was my imagination. There was no way he would actually be here. Right? I exhaled deeply and let my eyes flutter open before forcing myself to turn around.