fourty eight

Aliza's PoV

After wandering around for almost an hour, the rain luckily mixing in with my tears, I finally made it to a hotel and checked in for the night. The receptionist stared at me for an uncomfortable amount of time. Maybe it was my dirty clothes that I didn't get a chance to change out of when I got home. Maybe it was my face that had mascara running down it. Maybe it was my hair that was now wet and clinging on to me. Or maybe it was the fact that there was a poster of the Avengers plastered across one of the boards in the lobby. I tried not to look but my eyes thought different. I studied the picture. I was the only one smiling in it. The rest of them had their serious faces on but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Steve was one side of me and Clint was on the other. My lips involuntarily twitched up as I remembered the day we went to that photo shoot.

"I don't understand why we have to do this. We're not the Spice Girls." I had my feet up across the sofa with a magazine in my hand. I was absentmindedly flipping through the pages, not really focusing. We were in a changing room at the headquarters getting ready for a team picture to be taken for posters.

"Fury's orders." Clint answered as he walked out of the room while buttoning his uniform.

"Well, if we were, I would be Posh Spice." Tony called out from the bathroom. My head popped up and I stared at him.

"Uh, Try again. I'm Posh Spice. I've got the posh British accent and I have the hot boyfriend." I nudged Steve was by my feet but he just looked between us confused. "And he's sporty spice so don't try and take that one either."

"Well, you've left me with Scary and Ginger."

"Just Scary actually. Natasha has to be Ginger Spice since she's basically ginger anyway."

A flying object came out of nowhere and hit me in the thigh. The impact left a stinging pain and as I rubbed it I looked around for the source but didn't see anyone. "Fine! I meant fiery red."

"I am not going to be Scary Spice." Tony stated as he walked in the room, his suit clunking along with him.

"Guess you're out of the band then." I chuckled as I put the magazine down and made my way to the bathroom for final touches.

"Well, if this was Destiny's Child, I would be Beyoncé."

"Please, you'd be Michelle Williams."

"Which ones that?"

I popped my head out the bathroom. "Exactly."

I heard Tony gasp and suddenly there were hands in my hair messing up what I had spent the previous hour trying to perfect. I looked in the mirror to see my hair sticking up in different directions and some of my makeup smudged.

I turned to face Tony with a glare and I think I almost saw the fear in his eyes.

"I'm going to give you five seconds to run."

He went to move but I ran straight out.

"Five!" I screamed out before sprinting after the flying tin can.

We were late to that photo shoot. Not because I had to get ready again, but because Tony had accidentally gotten stuck in the railings of the staircase and someone had shut Friday down in his suit so he wasn't able to use it to get out. How unfortunate.

"Excuse me, Miss?" My flashback was interrupted by the receptionist trying to get my attention. I whipped my head around and apologised before she handed me my key card. I trudged into the elevator, my shoes making squeaking noises all the way. Some stared but I was too tired to care. I stumbled in to my room, the fatigue now hitting me but as much as I wanted to, I couldn't jump straight in to the bed that looked so warm and inviting.