2. Leaving

Sam's P.O.V (little bit older here)

"I'm sorry. Jerome, I'm so sorry," I cry out, tears rolling down my cheeks.

He places both of his hands on my shoulders, a comforting smile on his lips, but it doesn't reach his eyes, as he replies, "It's okay, Sam. We both agreed that-"

"-if one of us can get out, we get out."

"Exactly."

"B-But what about you?"

"I'll be fine."

"No. I'm not just leaving you-"

"You'll get an education there. At least your parents care about you."

That's not really true. Now that Mom's cancer has caught up to her, I don't think Dad wants anything to do with me. Sending me to a school was probably the only thing he could do to get me away from him. I didn't expect him to buy me a small apartment, though. I think he must've spent it from Mom's money, that she passed down to me. God, I miss her.

I hug Jerome, and cry into his caramel-scented shirt, "I'll visit. I promise."

"I know you will, Sammy."

"You know I hate being called that."

"Of course I do," he laughs, but it hardly sounds genuine.

I pull away from him, and pick up my bag full of my possessions on the floor.

"I think I might have to go. The taxi will be waiting."

He nods, his eyes twinkling with what could only be sadness, "Have fun there, okay?"

I turn to leave, only to feel his warm hand grab mine, to spin me around.

"Jerome-"

I stop when he places his lips on mine.

It must've only lasted a few seconds, but it felt like we were standing there for a lot longer. I didn't pull away for a while, and neither did he.

When I finally do, I notice the smirk on his face, when I look up, since he's a lot taller than me. He's a prick, but a handsome prick, I'll give him that.

"Stay safe, Sammy," he chuckles.

"I will, ginger."

I run towards the taxi. When I get in, it instantly starts to leave.

Jerome waves at me. Even though I'm far away, I can see the sad look in his eyes.

I lean back on the seat, my mind racing.

That asshole kissed me.

Could've done it sooner.