3. The Murder of Lila Valeska

Sam's P.O.V

I grab my phone, whistling quietly to the tune of Mr Blue Sky, as I spin around my dainty living room as if I were in a live performance.

My fingers frantically press the number I memorised into the key pad. Jerome's.

With just under a year passing since I left him at the circus, I haven't spoken to him much. Of course, we phone call eachother every time we can, but his mother isn't too keen on him borrowing the only phone between them to call me.

But, before I can dial Jerome's number, someone else rings, on the other phone. I place down the one in my hand, and make my way to the other, which is attached to a wall.

"Hello?" I say, my voice so quiet I'm worried that they don't hear it.

"Is this Samantha Williams?" The quickly reply, and I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Yes, who is this?"

"This is the Gotham City Police Department, we have a young man down here claiming that he knows you," the operator explains, sounding utterly bored as I swear I hear them yawn.

A boy? ... Jerome?

"Who is it?" I ask nervously, hoping that Jerome hasn't gotten himself into any trouble.

"His name is Jerome Valeska." Shit.

"Is his mom with him?" I ask, silently praying that she is, for once. Maybe they'll spot the bruises on him. Maybe Jerome will finally tell them what she's been doing to him. Maybe.

"No. I'm sorry to tell you that Lila Valeska was found dead late last night."

"Oh," is the only word that manages to run past my lips.

I can't say I'm sad. That woman was crazy. But, I hope that Jerome is okay. It's still his mom, even if she was a bitch to him.

"I'll be on my way," I tell them, before placing the phone down.

----

Jerome's P.O.V

The detective, Jim Gordon, I think, has a strange look in his eyes. Suspect. Of me? Probably not.

The door behind me opens. Someone I recognise steps through, along with another officer.

Sam instantly takes quick strides in my direction. I stand up, and she throws her arms over my shoulders. I play my part, and pretend to cry into her shirt.

"I'm so sorry Jerome," she says, but I know that she's not really telling the truth. Sure, she's upset for me, but for mother, dearest? Sam hates the woman with a passion. Not as much as I do. Well, did, I guess.

For the first time in a bloody while, guilt hits me for lying to Sam. When we were kids, whenever she cried, I usually teared up a bit too. Whenever I cried, she normally did too. Who said girls don't like emotional boys? Sammy sure does. That's why Jeremiah will never have a chance with her, the little prick.

"It's not your fault, Sam," I pull away from her, and turn to Gordon, holding in a shit-eating grin at the sight of the gal I care so much for. Ah, love.

"S-Sorry," I mutter, faking a small smile as I speak to Gordon, "a friend of mine."

He nods, reaching out his hand towards Sam, which she soon takes.

"I'm Sam."

"James Gordon. I've been told you've heard of the circumstances."

"... Yes. I heard."