18. Crazy For You

Jerome's P.O.V

I push Sam behind Essen, who is tied down to a chair, and towards the edge of the indoor balcony, which is where Gordon works.

I hold Sam's arms against the railing, pushing her to the floor, and she avoids my eyes, fresh tears dripping down her face.

"Don't do t-this," she whispers to me, as I grab a set of handcuffs from the police belt around my waist. I attach one of her wrists to it, and then lock the other cuff onto the railing.

Still kneeling down beside her, I chuckle at her pleading, before sighing.

"No, no, no. You can't stop me, can you? That pretty little thing around your wrist is making sure of that."

She sobs. I place my hand on her cheek, pushing her face up so that she's looking at me.

"Don't fret, Sammy. I won't hurt you."

"But you don't have to kill the officers. Just take me. I won't struggle, I promise."

It does sound tempting. If I do this, it'll be harder than ever to make her fall for me again.

But, if I take her and leave the officers, I'll be betraying the man who got me out of Arkham. Sure, I care about Sam a lot more than Galavan, but that doesn't mean he won't hurt her, if I leave.

"Sorry," I hiss into her ear, causing her to shudder.

"Killing these officers is about the best thing that's going to happen to me today. Unless me and you go and... y'know..." I laugh, for some reason taking enjoyment out of the fear in her eyes. At least she knows who the dominant one in our relationship is.

"You're crazy," Sam whimpers, trying to push herself away from me. The handcuffs don't exactly help her.

I press my lips against her cheek, smirking.

"Crazy for you."

"Get the hell away from her."

I stand up, turning around to see the Commissioner facing away from me in the chair she's in.

"Oh! I almost forgot about you!" I skip in front of her, so she can get a good look at me.

She glares.

"Now, I appreciate that you want to keep her safe..." I point at Sam, who Essen can't see since she's cuffed behind her, "but I can do that job on my own."

As no one speaks, I continue to talk to Essen.

"Hell of a first week you're having Commissioner. I wish I could tell you that things are going to get better for you. They're not."

A loud plead for "help" is heard, followed by a gunshot, causing both Sam and the Commish to flinch.

"Yeah, bring that up here, get a better angle of the room," I wave over Greenwood, who is holding the camera.

"Why are you doing this?" Essen inquires.

"To rule the world, and get the girl," I grin at Sam. "Blah blah blah. But we'll settle for some dead cops and good PR." The camera turns on. "Kidding."

"Yeah whatever. I get it. You're just crazy," The Commissioner sneers.

"Crazy? Look at me," I kneel down next to her. "You can see I'm not crazy."

"Very soon, little man. You will be dead and the world will go on without you. You'll be nothing. No one will even remember your name."
----

Sam's P.O.V

"Hmm. No. That is where your wrong, old lady. We will leave a mark on the city, we will spread across it like a virus. Do you know why?" Jerome hisses into Essen's ear.

"There's nothing more contagious then laughter," Greenwood laughs. Jerome grabs his gun, and shoots him in the chest.

I gasp.

"My line. There's nothing more contagious then laughter."

Jerome lets out a giggle, which quickly turns into a full on chortle.

Essen spits in his face.

"That was strangely pleasant. Why don't we let Sammy have a turn?" Jerome mocks, winking at me with his grin.

The Commissioner headbutts him, and he stumbles back, a smile still evident on his lips, even when he groans in pain.

"That's gonna leave a mark."

"You got me," Jerome flicks some blood off of his nose, "my turn."

He grabs his gun, and quickly pushes it against Essen's stomach.

"No!" I find myself yell out, even while knowing that I can't stop him. It's useless.

He looks over at me, still keeping his gun against her stomach. His grimace is accompanied by an odd look of guilt in his eyes.

I don't notice someone else walking towards me until Jerome addresses them with a small nod of his head.

Before I can do anything, a sharp sting on the back of my head appears, only leaving when I lose my consciousness. The last thing I hear, is the sound of a gun firing, and a pained grunt.