8. The Mass Breakout

TIME SKIP

Barbara's P.O.V

"Hiya, gorgeous," A crude voice chuckles, jumping onto the seat opposite me, and I don't even bother to glance up from my magazine, "I'm Jerome."

A small frown appears on my face. I know who he is. I remember Sam telling me about him.

"Keep moving ginger," I ignore him, mainly to hide how pissed I am that he hurt my friend.

"Just being polite," he replies, a clear hint of anger in his tone. "So, whatcha in for?"

"Killing my parents."

He gasps, "Oh, me too! Well, mom anyhow." I catch him smirking by glancing in his direction. "Liberating right? What a rush!"

I glare up at him from my magazine, causing him to shrug.

"Yeah, alrighty then. You see the big handsome fellow staring at you like you're fried chicken?" He points over to a man who is eyeing me intently. "Richard Sionis, he's a millionaire. Got his own airplane, got a boat with a hot tub on it. And he killed twenty five people, just for fun."

"So what?" I grit my teeth. This ginger freak is already ticking me off.

"So, he likes you. He wants to be your friend."

"Hmm, let me think. No."

"A girl needs a good friend in here. See the guards, they don't care. They figure bad things happen to bad people. They happen all the time. All the time."

I internally groan, and look over to the biggest looking guy in the room.

"Hey, you!" I snap my fingers, trying to get his attention. "Hello? Baldy? Here here, hello." He looks over at me, "Yes! Hi. Come here."

He grins goofily, and stands up, slowly trudging towards me.

"Hi," I smile.

"Hi..."

"My name is Barbara. Would you be my friend?"

"Yes."

"Hey, if someone here tries to hurt me, would you protect me?" I pretend to act afraid, as if any of the bozos in here really do scare me.

"Yes."

"Thank you so much. Cutie," I tap his nose, and sit back on my seat. He walks away.

"Now I have a friend," I say to Jerome.

"You're bad."

"Yeah, so why don't you just fuck off?" I snarl. I should've reacted calmer.

"I don't remember doing anything to make you hate me."

"You didn't do anything to me. But you did do something to piss me off, circus boy."

He laughs for a short amount of time, "So, you did a little research up on me? Or did someone else tell you that?"

"A friend of yours actually," The words roll off my tongue faster than I can stop them. "Sam."

His eyes widen. "You know Sammy?" He regains his sinister tone, "She's a real charmer isn't she? Too nice, for her own sake, though."

"Go make me a sandwich," I grumble, not wanting to make myself even angrier.

----

Sam's P.O.V

It's been a while since Barbara left. Or was taken, depending on how you put it.

She's at Arkham now. Along with Jerome. Go figure.

Another friend turned murderer. Another friend who killed at least one of their parents.

Do I want to visit her? Yeah. Do I want to visit Jerome? No. Yes. Well, I don't know.

Barbara was the one who kinda took away the pain of thinking about him. She was kind, but then again, so was he, when I thought I knew him.

I moved back into my own apartment, of course.

I've been holed up for a few days. Not doing anything. Too bitter to go to school.

I stand up from the couch. I should go out. Today is a Sunday. And I promised myself that I'd talk to Lee again today.

I walk out of my apartment door, the only thing on me is a purse and my phone.

The first thing I see is a newspaper stand.

Huh. I might as well catch up on news I haven't been bothered to read.

I go towards it, and the salesman looks towards my direction.

"Read about the mass breakout in Arkham!"

I feel my heart drop. What?

I pick up the newspaper on his stand.

"'Maniax Mass Murder'?" I read the title.

"You need to pay to read the rest."

I roll my eyes and hand him the money, walking away while reading.

"'Five highly dangerous inmates from Arkham escaped the Asylum yesterday. All of them are unstable and go by the names of: Arnold Dopkins, Aaron Halzinger, Robert Greenwood-' Oh my god. 'Barbara Kean'..."

I stop walking, and look closely down at the small photo of her beside her name. Jesus.

I sigh. I went to see Lee Thompkins not that long ago. She said I could visit. I mean, this time I was carrying around the thoughts of Jerome and Barbara, who just disappeared from the face of the planet. When I explained to her...

She told me the truth. Barbara tried to kill her.

At first I didn't believe it. Not at all. Barbara was so kind to me. Then, she explained to me about her and the detective, Jim Gordon. I met Barbara outside of the police station, where Jim and Lee worked. She was probably going to see him, or even try to find Lee there.

It doesn't mean I was angry with Barbara, no.

Lee also told me about the person who kidnapped her. Some psycho called 'The Ogre'.

I peer back at the newspaper. It said five, and I only read four.

"J-Jerome?" I splutter, looking at the photo of him.

I don't notice someone walking towards me, until they hit my shoulder.

"Sorry," I mutter, picking up the newspaper that fell out of my hand.

"You should be more careful, Sammy."

I stop for a second, taking in the voice I recognise, gasp, and turn towards the person who bumped into me.

They're gone.

The panic hits my chest, and my eyes dart around, checking if anyone is watching me.

That was him. He must've followed me.

Jerome. I know it was him.