58. Fear

Harvey's P.O.V

I watch as the Major walks in, his men following behind him, holding Alfred and Bruce.

"Oh, Bullock- Bullock, can you tell this putz to let us go, please?" Alfred begs.

"Major, the men escorting Gordon were attacked," I inform him. "Your guys didn't see who. I'm thinking it's either Valeska's cultists or-"

"Enough. Did you prepare Valeska like I asked?"

"... Yeah."

He turns to Bruce, who glares. "Mr Wayne, you'll be perfectly safe. If you could help us learn the location of the bombs-"

"Major, you brought me here against my will. I want to go back to the hospital and back to my friend. Let's get this over with."

I stare as they walk away, towards the room where Jeremiah is.

----

Bruce's P.O.V

I hesitantly step into the room, reminding myself that as soon as this is done, I can see Selina again.

The smug son of a bitch smiles at me, "Hello, Bruce... It's great to see you."

"... Where are the bombs, Jeremiah?"

"Closer, please," he says, and I slowly step forward. "Closer... Tell me. How is the young lady doing?"

I don't reply, but he notices my expression.

"Oh... You know why we're destined to be best friends? Because we're very much alike. You are as I used to be. At war with your true nature. You must truly embrace it if you ever want to be free. I'm trying to help you."

"Trying to help me?" I practically seethe with anger. "By torturing Alfred? Trying to destroy Gotham? By shooting Selina, and killing the one person who I know you care for? You think we're alike because there's a darkness inside both of us. But the difference is, I know how to control mine."

"I think you could be so strong... I see it. He sees it, too."

"What do you mean, 'he'?"

Jeremiah winks, and the Major speaks through the earpiece in my ear.

"Ask him about the bombs."

"Where are the other bombs?"

He drops his smirk, turning serious. "What bombs?" He turns to look at the camera in the corner of the room, knowing that people are watching him.

"Bombs you planted around the city," I tell him. "You blew up the mayor."

"Ah, that bomb. Yes, that was the only one. But, it did what it had to do. It got you here."

I step closer to him, "You said 'he'... Who do you mean?"

"The one who opened up my eyes. Who showed me that everything I was doing was not to create a Gotham of my own, but yours. The Gotham you need. Your dark island. And it will come to be, Bruce. Tonight."

"Tell me his name," I press further.

"What did the doctors say? Will the little bitch ever walk again? What vertebrae did I sever? I was hoping for the lumbar-"