75. Sanity

Third Person P.O.V

Samantha hears a scream, but she only realises that it came from her mouth when her throat grows horse, making her wince in pain, as she sits on her knees, still crying loudly.

Jervis just watches her with an amused expression, glad that she will now be different, without any moral high ground, since she has murdered someone without a reason. Although it technically isn't her fault, it's not like she sees it that way. She believes that she's killed both of the people closest to her - first Jerome, and then Vicky.

"W-Why?!" She cries out, clutching onto her friends broken form, almost in an effort to bring her back. "Oh God, please don't do this. Please, please no."

A hand grabs her shoulder, stroking it. She tenses up, as she feels something she's never felt before hit her.

Bloodlust. She wants to tear Hatter limb from limb.

She mutters something under her breath, as her friend's blood is caked in her clothes.

"What was that, my dear?"

"I'm going to kill you," she says almost too casually, before grabbing the gun she dropped, and tackling Jervis to the floor, dropping Vicky's body.

He doesn't fight back, but instead laughs. He knows what will happen if she kills him. She won't be able to ever recover from it. Her sanity is already on a knife edge, one swerve to the side and it will all come down.

"I hate you! I hate you!" She continues to yell, hitting him everywhere she can, for a moment forgetting about the gun. But, she regains her senses, she straddles Jervis to keep him down, pointing the gun directly in between his eyes.

"Going to kill me? Get on with it, Alice."

"It's Samantha," she growls, pressing the gun even harder into his face.

"Oh, don't be upset. Your friend was constantly pleading with me, either to let her go, or to kill her. She was in such a fragile form, especially after I forgot to feed her."

Samantha doesn't reply. All she can see is red.

She begins to tighten her grip on the gun, her finger moving closer to the trigger. She isn't even shaking, which actually scares her the most. She's not afraid to end his life.

'Will that make you any better than him?' Her subconscious reminds her, and she halts her movements for a second.

'If you kill him, he will die satisfied. He wants you to kill him. Don't do it, and let him live out the rest of his life, knowing that he didn't win.'

Jervis frowns as she stills herself, seemingly not going to end his life, and turn into the person he wants her to be. Seemingly. Sam spots his annoyance, and despite the circumstances, her lips prick up into a grin.

She chuckles darkly, playing with the gun in her hand, "Ah, Jervis, Jervis, Jervis. What am I going to do with you?"

He glares at her, "You are weak, my dear. You can't even kill the man who tortured and killed someone you cared about."

She shrugs, a smirk finding it's way onto her face, not matching the tears down in her eyes, "Oh, I'm sorry that I won't kill you. I hope you enjoy the rest of your miserable life!"

She begins to get up, but before Jervis can think that she was going to leave him like that, she brings the back of the gun down on his face, knocking him out.

She stands up, taking one last look at the body of her friend before she starts to make her way outside of the complex.

----

Jeremiah's P.O.V

I swiftly move forward, towards the place Ecco informed me Hatter was staying at, using the cameras surrounding it.

I don't get very far when I see Sam walk out of the door, in a daze. I spot the blood on her shirt, and quickly run forwards.

She doesn't even register that I'm in front of her, not even when I grab her in a bone crushing embrace.

"Samantha? Samantha, is that your blood?" I ask carefully, in confusion to why she's being so absent minded.

She notices me then, tilting her head to the side but saying, "Oh, no, it's Vicky's." Her eyes widen after she says that, and tears fill them, as she chokes out a sob, "Oh, my God, it's Vicky's. I killed her, I killed her, I killed her, I killed her."

"What do you mean?"

"He made you do it, it's not your fault. Yeah, but you still were the one that shot her," she whispers, and I realise that she's talking to herself.

What did he do to her?

"Where's Hatter?" I question, looking over her shoulder for a second. When I get back to her face, I see that she's smiling.

"Tetch is still alive and suffering... He's gonna wake up with a huge migraine!" She exclaims happily, her sadness vanishing in an instant.

"Did he hurt you?"

"Nope."

I know that her reply isn't the truth. Her obviously hurt her, mentally.

"Can we go home now? I'm tired," she yawns loudly, and I furrow my eyebrows angrily. Has Tetch broken her?

"Yes, of course we can go home, dollface."

I scoop her up in my arms, making my way back towards the car. Ecco glances worriedly down at her, but Sam only smiles, waving up at her.

Ecco and I share each other a look that says: Can we fix her?