70. Changes

CH-CH-CH-CHANGEEEES

sorry I had to ok.
----

Sam's P.O.V

I lazily yawn, stretching my eyes open painfully, the throbbing in my cheek beginning to come back. Standing up, I go towards the ensuite to clean myself up.

The red and purple colour in my cheek makes me cringe. I snatch a toothbrush from a packet full with them, knowing that it hasn't been used, and brush my teeth with the minty toothpaste. Then, I pick up a towel from the drawer, placing it on the hook, deciding to have a shower and maybe wash off the feeling of dread. It doesn't work.

When I'm done, I wrap the towel around my body tightly, as if trying to suffocate myself. Ecco placed me clothes in the drawers in the bedroom, but as I step outside the ensuite I feel my heart slam onto the edge of my rib cage, as I watch Jeremiah slowly stand up from the bed, staring at me.

I should've asked if I could have a shower... It's stupid but he could hurt me again now.

I wonder if Ecco told him about the tracker she found. I hope so.

I hesitantly approach him, worried about what he might do if I back away, even though I really want to. I keep my arms over the towel, gripping onto it tightly. Luckily, it reaches all the way down to my knees. When I stand in front of him, I make sure to put myself at a little bit of distance, so I can run if he tries anything.

Where can I run to though?

He sighs, stepping forward and moving his hand up. I flinch, my eyes not meeting his as I fight to keep my cool.

He notices this, but grabs a stand of my wet hair, pushing it behind my ear, so he can get a proper look at my face.

"We need to talk about what happened, sweetheart," he tells me in an angry tone, his focus on the bruise on my cheek.

The memories of last night come into my head. The blinding white flash as I toppled to the floor, and the horrible pain.

"N-No, no," I force out, taking a step back without realising. Not again...

I won't let him hurt me again. I can't let him touch me. I can't.

"Samantha-"

I instantly jolt, running into the bathroom, and locking the door behind me. I hear Jeremiah pound on it with his fist, as I sink down with my back to the door, trying to steady my breathing.

"Open the door, Samantha. Please, don't do anything rash..."

I don't reply, and he grows impatient.

"Open the door now!"

I try to gulp a sob, but it rakes out of me, as I shake in fear of the unknown.

For a second, I think that he might leave, but another harsh knock against the door tells me otherwise.

He's kicking it down.

I slide away from the door, too weak to stand up. I am so pathetic.

He continues to kick it, while I softly cry, still sat on the cold floor. I watch in shock as the door falls down in front of me, fortunately not being close enough to actually hit me.

Jeremiah has a blaze in his eyes, but when he spots my hunched form, he composes himself. He sympathetically looks at me, stepping forward, although my eyes silently plead with him to stay away. I'm glad the towel is still protecting my body from his gaze, but he can still see my legs.

"Please..."

"I'm not going to hurt you, Samantha," he reassures me, still slowly moving forward. "Ecco told me about the tracker in your neck and I... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have taken my rage out on you, and I never want to, ever again. I know this doesn't account for much, but it's all I can say right now. I'm sorry that I brought you into the worst kinds of danger. I'm sorry that I got you hurt. I'm sorry that I hurt you... I'm sorry that I ruined your life."

I want a snappy remark to hit me, but one doesn't, my mouth completely drying up as he kneels in front of me. He's never been so... soft with me.

"I'm sorry," he repeats, one last time, before pulling me up onto my feet.

He sort of brings us into a hug, and I oblige to it. I press my tearful face onto his chest, wanting to stay there as he holds me tight. One of his arms wrap around my waist, holding me against him, while the other strokes my pained cheek carefully. I keep my hands on the towel, but move into his warmth.

We stand there for a few minutes, glad to be hanging onto each other, as if our lives depend on it. If someone walked in, they wouldn't see as a murderer and his 'pet', as I used to think that's only what I was to him. They would see us as two people who cared for each other a lot, even after everything they had put themselves through.

I feel Jeremiah plant a soft kiss on the top of my head, whispering carefully, "Would you like to have something to eat?"

I nod, pulling away from his touch, looking back at the door, that is off its hinges.

"You're going to have to fix that," I say absentmindedly.

He laughs - and a real one at that, not one that made me frightened or angry. Not at all.

"You should rest, I'll bring something in. I know I can never make up for what I did, but I want to treat you like you deserve to be treated. But, unfortunately I do not have a palace at the ready," he slyly remarks, earning a faint smile from me.

With that, he exits the room, not even locking the door behind him, subtly letting me know that he trusts me.

I quickly get changed into some clothes, but I then feel a strong thought hit my head as I collapse backwards onto the bed, although I shouldn't be tired.

Am I being Stockholm'd?