56. A Bullet For A Bullet

Sam's P.O.V

I tried over and over to get myself on my feet, but each time just ends up with me hitting the floor.

I had to crawl over to the door, only to find out that it was locked anyway.

I lean back against the bedside cabinet, silent tears pouring down my face. I don't want to be stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

I turn around, trying to see if there's anything in the cabinets drawers. The first one I open has nothing in it, but the second does. I pick up my phone, inspecting it. It must've been taken off of me.

"It has no charge."

If I had the strength in my legs, I would jump three feet in the air.

I didn't see Jeremiah come inside the room.

He slowly closes in on me, and I sit up as best as I can, my back against the cabinet.

"How are you feeling?" He asks, kneeling down in front of me.

"I-I can't walk," I reply, keeping back a sob.

"Ecco told me that your muscles aren't strong enough yet to support you, so you won't be able to walk for a while. It's not permanent, though."

I breathe a loud sigh of relief, this time happy tears falling from my eyes and hitting my lashes.

Without warning me, Jeremiah scoops me up in his arms. He then places me back down on the bed.

"You need to tell me who shot you," Jeremiah states, standing next to me.

I thought he ordered his men to kill them. Why does he want to know?

He notices my confusion and continues, "Jerome's followers didn't report back to me like I told them to, so I assume that they are all dead, and the people who shot you are still alive."

I sigh.

I don't want to think about what Jeremiah will do to Barbara if I tell him that it was her. I still don't understand why she did it, and I still don't forgive her for it. But I don't want to let Jeremiah torture and kill her, as angry as I am with her.

"I didn't see who shot me," I say, looking at my hands so that Jeremiah won't see the nervousness in my eyes.

"That was a lie. Why are you lying to me?"

"I-I'm not!"

I yelp when he grabs my neck with his gloved hand, moving my face closer to his. His grip isn't too tight, so I can still breathe, but he can still easily control me.

"Jeremiah-" I plead, but he cuts me off.

"Don't you see what I'm doing for you? Why do you have to be ungrateful? I saved your life!" He spits, our noses almost touching.

"Please, let go..." I beg, my hands trying to tug his away from my neck.

I spot the regret in his eyes when he sees the fear in my own. He quickly moves his hand away, but places it onto my shoulder, keeping me still.