14. Burn The Bus

Jerome's P.O.V

I jump onto the bus, a large smile on my face. Mainly to hide how pissed I am.

Sam thinks she knows me?

Sure, I know her.

She's innocent, sweet, kind, the whole package. Ew, the sappiness.

But she doesn't know anything about me. Nope. Maybe that I care about her... and that I like to murder people, but that's probably it.

"I want you all to know, this was a very difficult decision for us," I raise my voice over some of the crying, "it was between you and a... senior citizen bingo party."

I continue going up the walkway, my gun loosely in my hand, "In the end, we decided to skew a little younger. Youth won the day. Sorry."

When I get back up to the front, I jump, turning back to my scared audience.

"Give me an 'O'!" I shout cheerfully. All I get is a bunch of soppy half-assed crying.

I shoot the roof of the bus, causing more screams to go off.

"I said give me an 'O'," I snarl.

"O," the whole busload of people chant.

"Give me an 'N'!"

"N."

"Give me another 'O'!"

I notice Aaron on the side of me, bringing over the hose, that's attached to the petrol tanker.

"O," they choke out together, still sobbing.

"And what does that spell?" I grab the pipe from Greenwood, who gets it from baldy.

"O' no!"

I press the lever back, letting the petrol fly all over the people. I walk forward, making sure to hit everyone of them.

When I've got everyone, I hop out of the bus door, and onto the ground, grabbing a lighter from my pocket

I acknowledge Sam, who is handcuffed to a part of the gas tanker.

"Ready?" I ask to my colleges, who smile, and I flick open the lighter top, "Okay!"

I move the lighter close to the petrol spilt, and try to light it.

It's not working.

"This is so embarrassing," I mutter, throwing it to the floor.

I peek my head into the bus, "Anyone got a light?"

They scream in reply.

"I do!" I hear Dopkins shout. Today is my lucky day. "Here it is!"

He holds his hand out, but before I can take it, I hear the sound of a siren.

I instantly skip up to Sam, grabbing the keys to the handcuffs from my pocket, and unlocking it.

Before she can do anything, I grab her, pushing her back up against my chest, using one arm to stop her from moving by placing it over the top of her stomach, and the other to hold a gun against her temple. Of course, I'm not going to shoot her.

I walk back towards the bus, keeping her in place.

"Stand your ground, boys," I say, eyeing the arrived GCPD, "they can't shoot at a bus, or a hostage, either."

Sure enough, I hear my good ol' pal Gordon shout out, "Hold your fire! Hold your fire!"

I move my gun away from Sam for a second, flicking it at an officer, and he hits the floor. I move it back where it was before.

Jim yells at me, "Jerome! Let the girl go!"

"No can do, Jimmy. Finders keepers!"

"Jerome, you need to-" she begins, but I cut her off.

"Aaron, Greenwood!" I point towards the truck using my gun, keeping Sam in place. "Get the truck started. We're gonna blow this barbecue!"

I notice out of the corner of my eye Gordon trying to sneak up on me.

I let go of Sam, making her drop to her knees, and jump around, shooting when I face him. It nearly gets him, but hits the car he ducks behind. Shucks.

I aim for him again, and this time I know that I'll get him. Pop goes the Jimbo.

Before I can shoot him though, a scream rudely interrupts me.

"No!"

Someone tries to grab the gun out of my hand, causing me to pull the trigger. Usually, I wouldn't mind the sound of a body hitting the floor, but when I turn to see whose body it is...

"Sam?"

She winces, and I kneel down in front of her, pushing my hands over the bullet wound in her shoulder, trying to stop the blood flow.

"Why did you do that?!" I nearly shout at her, but I realise that's she's in too much pain to care.

I can't save her if I take her. She could bleed out. If I leave her? The police could patch her up in time. If I've hit something important... 

Standing onto my feet, I turn to Dopkins.

"Light 'em up!"

I run over to the truck, leaving behind one of my 'comrades' and someone who I care about a lot more.

I will see her again. No matter what it takes.