7. Selina Kyle

Sam's P.O.V

"You're going to school."

"No, I'm not," I reply.

"Yes, you are."

I'm too tired for this.

"Fine, Mom," I say, my voice dripping with sarcasm. It causes a painful reminder of my real mom, but she doesn't realise.

Barbara grins, knowing she's won the argument.

It weird. I've only known her, like a week, but we're really close. After Jerome... I just didn't want to go back to my apartment. That was the last place where he seemed sane to me. Not anymore, though.

Barbara offered me to stay with her for a few days, since she already knew why I didn't want to go back. When I was stupid and drunk, I told her everything. Not like I care, anyway. It's nice having someone to talk to. At school I have people too, yeah. But Barbara is someone I know I can trust for anything. I mean, it's not like she's going to go crazy and start killing her parents like Jerome, am I right?

"Can I borrow some of your clothes?"

"That's what you've been doing for the past week, genius."

"Thanks," I trudge away, opening her wardrobe. It's full of clothes. It takes a while before I find something that I really like.

A denim jacket, some ripped jeans, and a striped shirt.

I throw them on.

"Don't you need pens and crap for school?" Barb asks.

I shrug, "I'll ask someone for one."

She nods, "Don't get into any fights."

"Ha," I say. She knows that I don't get into any.

"See you later."

"Bye."

I leave and shut the door behind me.

Why did anyone have to make the hardship called school?

I start walking, when I hear someone behind me.

"Who are you?"

I quickly turn around. It's a girl. My age, maybe. Probably a bit younger.

"Huh?"

"You're friends with Barbara?"

"Oh. Sorta, I guess."

"Good enough. I'm Selina."

"I'm Sam."