53. The Car

I did them dirty. Now imma about to do you all dirty.

(Oh, and shorter chapter. The other one was nearly 5,000 words and I usually do 1,000, so I think you can let me off on this one? Please?;) )
----

Harvey's P.O.V

"Harper, please, will you help the mayor?" I ask the young woman, who nods, walking up to him.

"You got it."

I walk towards the stairs, and that's when I spot him.

"Holy mother of God. Bruce Wayne. Hey!" I run down the stairs. "Bruce, are you okay?"

"I'm fine, but I think Jeremiah Valeska has Samantha."

I breathe out a sad sigh, and he tilts his head to the side in question.

"No, he... he doesn't. She came to us not that long ago. I didn't want to be the one to tell you this, but... Jeremiah killed her."

He takes a step back at that. "H-He wouldn't. Not her... Tell me exactly what happened!"

"She came to us, and he spotted her. He told her that if she didn't come with him, he would set off the explosives. She got into a car... and he detonated a bomb that was inside it..."

"... Goddammit," Bruce curses, holding back tears.

"I'm sorry, she was a good kid."

After a few minutes, he speaks again.

"I heard about Jim... Is it true?"

"As far as I'm concerned, Jim Gordon is alive, kicking and wanting us to find him," I reply, sugarcoating it.

"Detective, don't lie to me."

I nod, "It's not looking good, kid. I was hoping you could help me. Did you see Jim? How did you get out of the bunker?"

"Jeremiah and I had already left the bunker... Sam met up with us later. Jerome sprayed Jeremiah with a gas that drove him insane."

"I'm so sick of that freaking family," I growl. "Did you hear about Gotham Clock Tower, huh? I already mentioned them, but this guy's got these massive explosive-"

"It's my fault..."

"What?"

----

Bruce's P.O.V

"Jeremiah had plans to create next-generation generators... I funded him," I tell Harvey.

"Wayne Enterprises built those bombs?!"

"Listen, the schematics for the battery should be in the Wayne Enterprises R&D lab. Lucius can take a look at them and figure out how to disarm the bombs. I'm going to go get them now-"

"No, no, no, you're going home," Harvey shakes his head.

"No, I have to do this! I got both of them killed!"

"Look, I know you feel guilty... Samantha was a good person. Jim Gordon was- is important to all of us. And it's my job. So, go home, be with Alfred, be safe. It's what Jim would want." He starts walking away, "Lucius!"

All of a sudden, my phone goes off. I pick it up.

"Alfred, where have you been?"

"No, not Alfred," Jeremiah says on the phone. "I hope you didn't catch a cold in my brother's grave. I know those things aren't exactly designed for the living."

"What have you done? Where's Alfred?!"

"Such anger. Some people, not me, of course, might consider that ingratitude considering all I've done for you. All I'm doing for you."

"You mean lying to me?" I snarl. "Using my company to build bombs? Killing my friends? Trying to kill me?"

"Bruce, let's get something straight. If I wanted you dead, you'd be dead, I'd have put a bullet through your brain and left you to rot in that grave. But I meant what I said. You're my best friend, and today, I'm going to prove it to you."

"Best friend? What was Samantha to you then, huh? You are insane. You killed her and Jim Gordon."

"And if you don't want your man-servant to die too, you will follow my instructions to the letter. 71 Welling Avenue, be there in an hour, tell the police and I'll know. Just like I know that's where you are right now."

He ends the call on me.

----

Sam's P.O.V (before car explosion)

It wasn't the creepy look on Jeremiah's face, or the worried glances Harvey was giving me that made me nervous as I approached the car.

For some reason, it was the car itself.

I remember a car like that when I went to my mother's funeral. It feels like I'm going to my own funeral.

Jerome's- or Jeremiah's- followers moved out of the way for me, not even smiling, which was unlike them. If they knew that I was actually the one who put the bullet in Jerome's chest... I doubt they would be this quiet.

One of them opens the back door of the car, and before looking back at Harvey a final time, I hop inside, the door closing behind me.

I hold onto the leather seats with my hands, as the car immediately starts moving, before I can even get settled in.

I grimace as the driver makes us swerve a corner, nearly hitting a pedestrian or two.

All of a sudden he breaks, and another black car races ahead of us, looking like the exact same as the one I got in.

Before I can question anything, it... well, it explodes. Just like that. No warning, nothing.

I try to scream, but not even a whimper comes out of my throat as the car starts speeding off again, causing me to slide into the car door.

----

I DID YOU DIRTY

no I think you all knew I couldn't kill her off...

Yet.

Sorry, it was a shitty plot twist but I needed it to happen sooooo ;)