39. Brotherly Possessiveness

Jeremiah's P.O.V 

I nearly got Sam killed. 

I told Ecco to look out for her, and on the night Jerome cut the power I told had her doing some errands for me as my proxy. Of course, it had to be the exact time when Jerome came back from the dead.

My thoughts of guilt are disrupted when the red light on my monitor blinks again, and I look over to the screen.

It's Samantha.

She waves at the camera frantically.

"Let me in! Please, it's important!"

Of course, I wouldn't turn her away if it wasn't important.

Ecco has immediately taken point behind the door, because as soon as the monitor light goes off she rushes over there.

I press the button to open the door.

In a few minutes, the door to the left of me opens, and Samantha steps through, just before it shuts by itself.

I turn around, smiling although I'm slightly worried about her sudden appearance.

It only takes a few minutes for Ecco to lead her to where I am. The door opens, and Sam steps through, it closing behind her.

"Have you thought about my offer?" I ask, turning away from the screens to look at her.

"No, j-just listen, okay?"

I tilt my head to the side in confusion, but nod.

"I went to see Jerome."

"You what?!" I step closer to her, a sudden burst of rage hitting my chest. She put herself in danger by going to see that psychopath, even if he is locked up. I notice her slowly move away, and I take a deep breath.

"He can escape at anytime he wants. All the guards are either too scared of him, or support him. I barely made it out."

"Did anyone follow you?!" I grab her shoulders, shaking her a bit.

"No, but I'm fine, by the way," she rolls her eyes, shrugging my hands off of her.

"Then why hasn't he left yet?" I ponder.

"He probably wants to make his ego bigger than it already is... or he's planning something."

"You're not going to visit him again," I tell her.

"If I want to, yes I will, Jeremiah."

At least she calls me by my real name now.

----

Sam's P.O.V

"This isn't a question," his eyes turn dark, reminding me of his brother. "You will not visit him again."

"You leave me for years and then expect me to do what you tell me to?" I blurt out, anger coursing through my veins. "You don't own me. I'm not a fucking object! Both you and Jerome treat me like one! But at least he didn't abandon me for years and then come back, trying to control my life!"

He takes another step forward, his tall frame towering over my much smaller one.

He grits his teeth, "Don't ever compare me to Jerome again. You understand?"

I want to scoff, but I gulp it down, not replying.

All of a sudden, his mood visibly changes. He unclenches his fists, and then places a hand on my arm, gently rubbing it with his thumb.

"I'm only doing this because I care about you. You may not believe me, but it's the truth."

----

Jeremiah's P.O.V

She looks up, tears in her eyes, either out of the anger she's suppressed for so long (probably from being around Jerome), or because of what I said.

"Why did you leave me then?"

"I didn't have a choice, Samantha. My uncle Zack took me away in the middle of the night. I hoped to bring you with me, but I couldn't. Jerome would tear up the country trying to find you, killing people everywhere he went. I wanted to stay, but my uncle took me out without asking me. Although I was scared of Jerome, whatever torment he would bring down on me would still be worth it, if I got to see to you."

She pulls me into a hug, in which I oblige to gladly.

"I missed you, Miah," she sobs. "For a while, I thought that Lila might've sold or killed you, and I was so scared... It sounds stupid, but we were kids, I didn't know what to think."

"I'm sorry. I-I wish things could've been different."

"Me too," she pulls away, sniffing.

"So, you'll think about my offer? I'll feel a lot better knowing that you're safe."

"I'll think about it. Just give me a few days, alright?"

Instead of protesting, I bite down on my tongue, and I wouldn't be surprised if it started bleeding.

"Don't take too long 'thinking about it'. Jerome knows that you know he can escape at anytime. That means he will want to get you before you leave."

"Not exactly reassuring Miah, but yeah, okay," she gives me the smile that I grew to love as a child, and I already find myself adoring it again.

"Take my number. Incase anything happens, just call me. I'll send Ecco over to get you."

She takes it, and promptly leaves.

I can't ignore the heavy feeling in my chest when she walks out the door.

Oh God. I'm not falling for her again, am I?