72. Run

Third Person P.O.V

He's dressed in all black, his hood raised over his head, so that she can barely see his face. But, he tilts his head up once more, allowing her to soak in that she isn't dreaming, and that it really is him.

His curly dark brown hair comes out from underneath his hood, and his eyes are wide in shock - and relief.

He grips his hands over her upper arms, and much to her surprise he's about the same height as her. Probably taller. She remembers when he was tiny, but then again, she can't talk about his height.

'Have I shrunk, or not been paying attention to how long I've been with Jeremiah?'

Bruce gives her a long, somewhat hopeful stare. He's silently praying that she isn't a figment of his imagination.

"Bruce?" She repeats, watching on as his face contracts into a look of realisation - she is real.

"Samantha, oh my... Where the hell have you been?!"

His harsh voice snaps her back into reality, and she quickly looks around, checking for Jeremiah. He won't be happy if he sees them together. Not at all.

"Bruce, you need to leave, now," she warns, the happiness of seeing someone she could call a friend soon washing away, as she realises how much danger he is in.

"I heard you screaming, did he hurt you?" Bruce asks, ignoring her question. How does she explain to him that she was crying out because Jeremiah was playing with her in the snow?

"No, no! Just go! You can't stay here, you need to leave," she repeats, hoping to convince him. It doesn't work.

"Come with me. I can protect you. James Gordon and I will do everything will can to keep you safe, and away from Jeremiah. You're probably already in trouble for running out here, so please, just come with me."

Although it does seem like a good idea, Samantha shakes her head, "The last time I ran away... it didn't end up so great. He killed my father."

"I'm sorry..."

"Don't be. My father tried to sell me to Jeremiah for money. But that's why I can't leave. He-he was angry the first time I left, and he did anything he could to get me back. He'll kill you and Gordon. I won't risk that."

"No, you have to come with me-"

The close sound of the snow being trod on catches their attention, and they both turn to look at the approaching figure.

"There you are, Samantha. See, I told you that you wouldn't get very-"

Jeremiah steps into their view, finally noticing Bruce. He first has a look of shock, before he glares angrily at the hands on Sam's arms, where Bruce is holding her.

She squeaks when he pulls out a gun from the coat of his pocket, pointing it directly at the young boy.

Bruce raises his hands in the air, his gaze on the man who shot Selina, blew up the bridges in Gotham, and kidnapped someone he cares about.

"Step away from him, and come here," Jeremiah tells her, but keeps focused on Bruce.

On instinct, she moves in between the two, knowing that Jeremiah won't shoot her. Hopefully.

"Jeremiah, please don't hurt him. He just got lost here, and saw me. He thought that-"

"I don't like repeating myself, Samantha. Come here, now," he tells her again, his gun still pointed in her and Bruce's direction.

She shakes her head stubbornly, "No."

All of a sudden, Bruce wraps his arm around her waist from behind, quickly pulling them to the side. The movement makes Jeremiah shoot the gun, but luckily the bullet only hits the tree. Bruce grabs Sam's hand, moving her forward as he runs, forcing her to go with him.

"Bruce, stop! Let me go!"

She tries to pulls away, but it doesn't work, as he continues to sprint, her trailing along directly behind him.

They both don't know if Jeremiah is following them, but they soon reach the edge of the forest.

He lets go of her hand, causing her to slowly back away from him, in case he tries to grab it again.

"Come on, we can leave!" Bruce attempts to convince her, but she shakes her head again.

"You can leave, but I can't. He'll kill me..."

"No, he won't. He cares-"

"The last time I left, someone followed me when Jeremiah got me back. He was really mad when she came to where we were... and blamed it on me. He strangled me, and I don't want to know what will happen if I don't go back to him. I can't run from him. He'll find me. He always will," she explains, watching Bruce's expression turn to anger when he hears about what Jeremiah did.

"I'm not going to leave you here, with him."

"You're going to have to. Please, don't come back."

Bruce can only watch as she turns on her heels, heading black towards the forest. She wipes away the tears slipping down her face. She could've left. But, she knows that she will never be free of Jeremiah.

She misses the sound of a pained grunt behind her, and a body hitting the snow. She only feels two hands gently touch her shoulders, from behind.

"Bruce, I told you, I'm not-"

She shuts up when the person leans their head close to her ear, breathing. It's not Bruce.

She whips around, and to her surprise it's not Jeremiah, either.

The man smiles widely at her, before lifting something up. She hears him say something, but the only thing she's really concentrating on is the tick-tock of the clock in his hand.

Jervis Tetch mutters to himself, after she's under his hypnosis, "You'll make a fine Alice."