6. Barbara Kean

Sam's P.O.V

I get up to leave, a look of pure shock still on my face.

Jerome suddenly grabs my shoulder, pushing himself up from the chair.

"Hey!" Gordon yells.

Jerome holds me against the strong blacked out glass on the wall.

"See you soon, doll," he chuckles, his face nearly touching mine.

I feel his arm leave my shoulder, and I open my eyes, which I closed in absolute fear when Jerome grabbed me. Two guards pull him away from me.

I gulp down a gasp, and try to walk out of the door. A guard tries to stop me.

"Let her go," Gordon says, ignoring Jerome's laugh. It's not as easy for me.

I open the door and make my way to leave, but I hear a voice stop me.

"Samantha."

I turn around. It's the woman from the interrogation.

"I-I didn't know. I-I thought h-he was..." The tears start to rise up. I thought he was what? Sane?

She pulls me into a hug, without giving me a warning.

"I know, I know."

She probably doesn't, but it's nice her comforting me. Or at least, trying to.

"He was my best friend."

More than that.

"Everything will be okay."

I'm not so sure about that.

I pull away from her, "T-Thanks..."

"Listen," she sighs, placing a hand on my shoulder, "you ever need to speak to me, and I'll be here. Okay?"

I nod, "Y-Yeah. Thank you."

She smiles a tiny bit, but I don't give her one back. I'm not in the mood for it, so instead I just avoid her eyes.

"Just come here whenever you want, and ask for me. My name is Lee Thompkins."

"Thank you. Really. This... means a lot. I should get going."

I start to walk out, but another person stops me. A tall man with glasses stands in front of me, holding a file in his hands.

"I can bring tears to your eyes; resurrect the dead, make you smile, and reverse time. I can form in an instant but last a lifetime. What am I?"

I look at him blankly. Is he seriously asking me a riddle?

"I-Insanity," I choke.

He smiles a tiny bit, "Actually, it's a memory. That's all you'll have of what he was before... I heard what happened. I'm sorry."

After nodding, I quickly walk out of the police station, ignoring the screaming in my head.

As soon as I step outside, and onto the cold street, I feel my legs give way. I fall onto my knees, and cry. There aren't many people around, but even if there was, I wouldn't care.

I feel a hand touch my shoulder.

"Are you okay?"

It's a voice, one I don't recognise.