59. The Bridges

Sam's P.O.V

Jeremiah keeps a firm hold on my shoulder, but it's not like I can go anywhere.

"Jeremiah, please-"

I shut myself up when he glances down at me, the look giving me a warning of what he'll do if I continue.

"So, you lied to the GCPD... Somehow you made them believe that she was dead," Bruce observes, speaking to Jeremiah.

Jeremiah shrugs, grinning madly at him, "I couldn't let them find her and then move to an unsafe place. If they got to her before I detonated the bombs, well... Why will they bother to look for her if they believe she died?"

"And why is she in a wheelchair? What did you do?" Bruce clenches his jaw, glaring at Jeremiah as Ra's al Ghul chuckles.

"I'm hurt, Bruce. You seriously think that I would harm her?" Jeremiah tilts his head to the side.

Bruce doesn't respond and Jeremiah cackles, speaking again.

"Oh, I see your point. Nonetheless, it was Barbara Kean that shot Samantha, not me. I was the one who saved her life, actually," Jeremiah places both of his hands on my shoulders, and I grimace. He's way too close to my neck, and he's made it blatantly obvious that he doesn't mind holding me from it.

"And that's why you shot Selina... because Kean and her were friends..."

He shot Selina? Oh, fuck.

"Is S-Selina dead?" I ask, feeling guilty as I watch Bruce sigh.

It's my fault. I could've blamed it on someone else, and Jeremiah might've not shot her.

"She's being treated now."

Thank you, whoever is looking down on me. Fuck this, if I don't escape from Jeremiah, I'll slap him, when y'know, I'm not in a room full of sword-wielding murderers and wackos.

"Civilisation, so fragile, Bruce. Gotham is soon to be each man for himself, a more savage place," Ra's cuts over our conversation.

"Sounds like fun. Sure you wanna leave?"

I flinch at Barbara's voice, the sound of heels clicking on the floor coming closer and closer.

Jeremiah notices my scared response, and realising that it's not because of him, he wheels me so that I'm behind him, but also uses one hand to hold Bruce.

"Oh, hey, Bruce," she winks, holding a box in her arms. She looks at Jeremiah, "Freak... and You."

Directing the last part at me, she gives me a half-shrug, still smiling. Are you fucking kidding me? She could've killed me, and I don't even get an apology?

"Hello, Barbara. I'm really glad you came," Ra's says, and Jeremiah glares at him.

Barbara sighs, "Bad news, baby. I'm not leaving. Gotham's in my blood. And I don't think I can let you leave either."

She opens the lid of the box, to reveal a blade.

"You re-forged it. Well, now."