78. Dreams

I'm tired okay. I haven't updated in years okay. I GOT NEARLY 43K READS AND OVER 1.7K VOTES. I'm so famous. £50 for my signature. (I'M JOKING I'M NOT THAT BAD). It'd actually be £500, you seriously think I'm made of money? smh.

So, you've probably noticed that I've been updating my other story a lot more. Personally, I prefer it to this one, but whatever floats your boat I guess. I'm going to be updating this a bit less frequently (I HAVE WRITERS BLOCK OKAY)

So, this chapter is a little shorter than usual, but o well. Aight, here we go.
----

Bruce's P.O.V

With a sharp blow to the head from my fist, the man topples to the floor with a sickening crunch, knocking the lowlife unconscious. He did try to murder a couple.

"Thank you, thank you so much!" The woman beside his body nods at me in gratitude, picking up her things, and what I assume is her husband, who is laying on the floor in shock. They promptly leave.

I gently shake my fist, ignoring the pain in it, and look up. It's dark, and not safe out here. Why do the civilians think it's a good idea to come out at night? Yes, I'm sure you could steal a few things since everything had gone down under, but that's what everyone else tries to do as well.

"I've been looking for you."

I quickly turn around, seeing that the muffled voice belongs to someone in the shadows of the alley.

"Who are you? Friend, or foe?" I challenge, raising my fists.

They step out into the light, removing the black bandana over their mouth, "How about very old friend?"

"Samantha?" I question, tilting my head to the side. In an instant, I run towards her, engulfing her in my embrace. I informed Gordon where to find her and Jeremiah, and he told me that she ran away in a panic.

I notice her nervousness, as she hesitantly hugs me back. What happened to her?

"Alright, alright, steady on," she forces out a chuckle, that I know is fake. After my parents murder, I had to pretend to smile or laugh at a lot of things.

"Are you alright? You're not hurt? What are you doing out here? How did you find me?"

"Woah, woah, woah, one at a time. I'm fine, nope I'm not physically hurt, I was looking for you, Barbara Kean told me that you had been sighted by some of her guys- I mean gals."

I sigh, "Look, I'm glad you're okay, but you could've gotten hurt."

"First of all, I'm old than you, secondly I could say the same about you, and thirdly, I can handle myself. But I didn't come here to argue with you. Come on, I'll show you to my place... I need to speak to you, somewhere private."

She then leads me towards an apartment, which I'm guessing isn't hers. I feel slightly awkward because we don't say a word to each other on the way, but she quietly hums to herself, as if she doesn't care.

When we get there, she locks us in, even going as far to place a chair under the door handle.

"Is Jeremiah still coming after you?"

She scoffs, "When is he not? But I don't want anyone else getting in here either. The people outside, Ecco, nor Jervis Tetch. Definitely not him."

"You wanted to tell me something?"

She takes in a deep breath, turning around to look at me, "Okay, this is gonna sound weird but, do you ever feel like you're drowning?"

I give her a look, and she continues her point.

"Like no matter how hard you try you won't ever be able to reach the surface and breathe fresh air?"

"I don't understand..."

"I think I'm going crazy," she blurts out, all of a sudden. "Like Jerome crazy. I just... snap."

"You're nothing like Jerome," I tell her, gently holding her arms to stop her shaking.

"No, no, no. You see, I tried telling myself that too, but I just am. Ever since he died, my life has somehow gotten even worse. Jerome, and then Vicky. I killed her. Jervis Tetch made me kill her. And no matter how hard I try to convince myself that it wasn't my fault... I can see her eyes when they were pleading with me not to shoot her, but I did."

"Did you want to shoot her?" I ask seriously.

"No... but I still did."

"Samantha, it wasn't you who pulled the trigger. In a strange way, it was Tetch. You're not crazy, you're just confused."

"I-I... I don't believe you... I've done bad things, and I'm going straight to hell for them."

"Well," I shrug, try to lighten the mood, "Gotham is practically hell, so I guess you're right."

A ghost of a smile appears on her lips, but she shakes her head, "You understand don't you? After losing people so close to you..."

"... You change. Of course I understand, Samantha. My parents, and now I almost got Selina killed."

She lets out a shaky breath, "I'm still hoping that this is one fucked up nightmare. That I'll wake up one day, and I'll still be in Haly's with Jerome... and nothing would be like this."

----

Third Person P.O.V

Bruce nods, "I want to wake up and be with my parents."

"I'm never going to wake up, am I?" Sam says sadly, earning nothing but a shake of the head from Bruce.

She collapses onto her knees, Bruce doing the same shortly after, tears streaming down their young faces as they hold onto each other. They really are similar, in a way.

They don't notice the shadow in the corner, not even when it slyly leaves. Ecco is going to have to report this to Jeremiah. She's given Sam time and space from him for a bit, but now she must tell him that she's found her.

He won't be happy when he hears about this.