65. The Trade

Third Person P.O.V

It isn't the large men surrounding her. It isn't the guns in their hands. No, for some reason, the inpatient tapping coming from Oswald's foot is the thing that unnerves Samantha the most, as she sits in the van.

The bag has been pulled off of her face, but the one on her father's head hasn't. He is sat next to her, with both of their wrists tied together.

She sniffs quietly, not even bothering to wipe away the tears that go down her pink cheeks. Oswald notices them, and that makes him feel even more guilty.

"He won't kill you," he says, trying to somewhat reassure her. In all honesty, he knows it's stupid to want all that money. He needs food and bullets, not some paper. But, Penguin also knows that when he's the king of Gotham, he'll make sure that money will be once again the most important thing. Plus, if he gets out of Gotham (which he's not planning to do just yet) he'll have millions to do what he wants with.

She laughs without humour, but it turns into another sob, "You don't know what he'll do. I don't want to know. I doubt he'll give you forty-million and then pat me on the head, and send me on my way."

That shuts Oswald up, as he sighs, looking everywhere other than her sad eyes.

After a while, the van stops, and Sam feels her knees grow wobbly, even though she is sitting down. She will probably have to be carried to Jeremiah.

She watches wearily as everyone other than her and her father stands up. Oswald gives her a sad look, before hopping out of the van, when the doors are opened for him by his goons. For some reason, they shut it behind them.

Samantha instantly turns to her dad, and pulls the bag off of his face.

"They're gone," he states, before noticing the person sat in the front of the van, smoking as he rests his feet on the dashboard.

"I'm sorry I brought you into this."

"No, no, no. It's not your fault, sweetheart. Don't blame it on yourself," Keith shakes his head sadly, as he pulls her in for a warm embrace. This time, she gives into it, holding onto him tightly. The comforting smell on his jacket only reminds her of her mother, and it soothes her.

She cringes when she hears the sound of another vehicle pulling up, knowing for certain that it's Jeremiah.

"We can't stay here," her dad tells her quietly, so the driver can't hear.

"There's no way to escape. What can we-?"

She looks in surprise when he reaches his tied hands down to one of his boots, sliding them off. A knife clatters to the floor, but the driver doesn't notice.

"I always keep one, just in case," Keith explains, as he leans down to pick it up.

He quickly gets rid of his binding, but instead of helping his daughter, moves towards where the driver is sat.

Sam can only sit there, but she jumps in surprise when he slits the man's throat from behind, and hops into his seat, starting the van.

She hears a few shouts and gunshots go off, as the window where her dad is sat breaks.

Luckily, he dodges the bullet, and presses his foot on the pedal, fast. He turns a corner before anyone can shoot the wheels of the van, and they drive off.