Chapter 17

Ali's POV

Here I am. Standing at the front of my new apartment.

It's worse than the website.

It was dark and smelled like dead rats. There's only four rooms. The bathroom, kitchen, bedroom and living room. They're all small as hell.

Once you walk in you're immediately in the kitchen. To the left there is a doorframe that looks like the door was taken. When you walk through the doorframe you see the living room then bedroom. The divider went down the whole room and stopped about two feet away from the wall so you can go back and forth to the bedroom and the living room. 

The bedroom only had room for the bed. It was those kind of beds when you pull it down from the wall. I don't even know if I want to sleep in that bed. If I did I'd probably land in something gooey or fall off because of how small it was. All the rooms had barely enough space to have people walking around in.

The kitchen was- ew.

The bathroom? Don't even want to talk about it.

There was a small living room next to the bedroom and it was the biggest room. I might as well lay a blanket on the floor and sleep there. It's the safest place to sleep. Once I put my luggage on the floor of the bedroom my phone rings.

I look at my phone to see that Andy was calling me.

"Hello?" I answer the phone.

"How's the apartment?" Andy asks right away.

I look around the cruddy apartment with my eyes observing every corner. I swear I saw mold coming from one of the corners.

"I think I'm going to cry." I state eyeing the mold.

"That bad?" Andy asks.

God, if she was hear she should even run out screaming.

"100 times worse than the website." I say walking out the apartment. It was getting too stuffy in there.

"Maybe it was a bad idea to move out of Luke's apartment if the best you can do is that." She says.

"Well, if you find any apartments for me that's better than this and as cheap tell me as soon as possible." I say sitting down in front of my door.

"How are you going to pay for that anyway?" Andy asks.

"Oh, about that." I say trailing off.

"What is your devious little mind thinking of?" Andy asks teasingly.

"I," I paused, "was thinking of dropping out of school so I can get jobs." I say quickly.

"What?" Andy screams. "You're going to drop out?" she asks.

"And what do you mean jobs? You're going to get more than one?" She yells once again.

"Yeah." I say stretching it nervously.

"You're crazy! You need the education, Ali!" Andy yells.

"I know, but I need a roof over my head. That's more important to me than education." I say. 

"If you need any help you let me know." Andy says kindly giving up.

"Thanks, bye." I say hanging up.

Great. I have to work myself thin to keep this crappy apartment and drop out of school just so I can do that. 

Honestly, I do want an education. Everyone does. Having an education means having a good job and future.