Chapter 34

Luke's POV

"So, what animals are we going to see first?" She asks trying to hide the fact that she's really excited.

"What do you want to see?" Michael asks her giving her a map.

"They have polar bears!" she says smiling happily looking at the map. I find myself smile at how cute she looked when her face lit up. I can't even deny it.

"Off to the polar bears then." Andy says leading us to the polar bears.

There's something about Ali that makes her look different today. I can't really wrap my head around it, but she just looks different. Good different. Her eyes seem brighter, her smile looks wider, and it kind of looks like she's glowing.I'm noticing things I never noticed before about her. Like the way she pulls her sleeves over her hands and plays with the ends. And how she turns her head away when she smiles like she's trying to hide it. I never noticed things like this on any other girl. Even Isabelle.

We make it to the polar bears and Ali runs to them dragging Skylar along. She stands on the bottom of the fence and leans forward. I can't help but chuckle at how childish she looks right now.

"Hey lover boy." Andy says nudging my arm.

"Lover boy?" I ask arching an eyebrow.

"Well, you were obviously staring at Ali the whole time we were here. Including the drive." she points out.

"I wasn't even-"

"Don't say it. I know I'm right." she says cutting me off.

"Luke," she says, "just don't break her heart. Ok?" She glances at Ali with soft eyes but stares back at me with cold ones.

"Ok?" she asks more loudly so she sounds more serious. I look over at Ali as she laughs when the polar bear goes into the water.

"Ok." I say still looking at Ali smiling brightly at the polar bears.

"Now go talk to her." she says pushing me towards her.I stand there for a few seconds wondering what I'm supposed to say.

"Hey," Ali says snapping me out of my thoughts, "come here."

"So, you like polar bears?" I ask as I walk up next to her.

"Yeah, they're cute." she says a little quieter and plays with the end of her sleeves that are pulled over her hands.

"Yeah they really are." I say still looking at her. If I'm being honest, I don't really know if I'm talking about the polar bears or her.She looks up at me still standing on the bottom of the low fence. I feel like wrapping my arms around her waist from behind her. I feel like holding her hand and pushing the few strands of hair in her face behind her ear.

"Um, so what are we going to see next?" she asks looking back at the polar bears. I look around to see that the others are buying a drink so I take this chance to slip away.

"Come with me." I say grabbing her wrist and dragging her away not giving her the chance to protest.

"Where are we going?" she asks.

"Well, you wanted to see the polar bears, so it's my turn." I say smirking back at her.

"What about the others?" she asks. I'm surprised she isn't saying things like, "let go of me," or, "I don't want to go with you.""They won't care." I say. They really wouldn't care. With me still dragging her I open a door that leads to see my favorite.

"Penguins?" she asks.

"Yep." I say proudly. There's a few people in here which thankfully doesn't make it crowded.We stand in front of the glass staring at the penguins. The tank is set up so you can see the penguins swim in the water and the penguins at the top walking on rocks.