Chapter 28

Ali's POV

I wake up and feel Jay's arm around me. I turn around to have him in my view.

"Good morning." he says slowly opening his eyes.

"Why are you here?" I ask rubbing my eyes.

"We must have fell asleep when we were watching the film." he says.

"Oh."

It isn't the first time me and Jay feel asleep together. Whenever I got scared from John yelling late at night I would call him to come over. He would always sneak in through my window of course.

"Wait, what time is it?" I ask jumping out of bed and running into the bathroom.

"Almost six. Why?" he asks.

"Shit, I'm going to be late." I murmur.

"Work?" he asks.

"Yeah." I say while brushing my teeth.

"Do me a favor and find a plain black shirt and a pair of jeans." I say while rinsing my mouth.

"Sure thing."

I put my hair in a messy bun and quickly grab the clothes Jay laid out for me on the bed.

"Thanks." I say as I run back into the bathroom. When I'm done getting ready I see Jay sitting on my bed.

"What are you still doing here?" I ask surprised.

"I wanted to walk with you to work." he says standing up.

"Suit yourself. But we really have to go now." I say speed walking to the door.

As me and Jay walk I look up to the clouds. It's a pretty dark day today. It looks like it's going to rain.

"Don't worry. She's ok." Jay says taking my hand and squeezes it just like she used to.

I smile at him, but look back up to the clouds. I wonder how she's doing.

Once we reach the restaurant I say good-bye to Jay and quickly check in. Luckily I wasn't late.

I hurry into the locker room to place my purse inside then go straight to work. Before we opened the store we always cleaned the tables and help out in the kitchen.

After a couple hours there was people filling inside. All of us are running around to keep up with the customers. Breakfast was always our busiest. Lunch wasn't a big problem, but dinner is very slow.

"When are they going to make a second location?" I ask Grace as we both walk towards the busy kitchen.

"Sounds like a good idea, but it is a lot of work and money for that to happen." She says.

"Yeah, I guess so." I say when I feel the glass with orange juice.

After tending to more tables the customers weren't the best today. Two children broke multiple plates, a women complained about our slow service (but the only reason our service was slow is because a man kept bothering all of the waitress with all sorts of stupid questions.) but worst of all, a little boy puked and I had to clean it up.

The other waitresses look like they're not doing well either. It's like all day there has been bad luck put on us. Tracey tripped from a little kid running around which caused her to drop food everywhere, Becca was being annoyed by all of the kids from a big family, Ashely spilled soda all over herself, and Grace had a group of teenaged boys hitting on her and wouldn't leave her alone the whole time they were here.

"Ali, can you help me here?" Ashely yells from the kitchen.

"Yeah, hold on." I say quickly putting the tray I was holding away.

"These damn people are peasants." she curses while looking in some cabinets.

"Oh, god." I say trying to hold in my laughter as I take in her appearance. Parts of her hair was soaked in soda and her shirt had a big darkened spot.

"Shut up. Help me find a towel or rag." she says looking through more cabinets.

"Ok, ok." I say trying to hide my smile.

After looking through many cabinets we finally find a rag. I go over to the sink to damp it and hand it over to her.

"Thanks." she says while wiping her shirt and her hair.

"No problem." I say leaning against beside the sink.

"So, you and Hunter?" Ashely asks while damping the rag again.

"Eh, we just went on a few dates. Nothing serious." I shrug.

"What are you guys doing? Get back to work!" our manager yells walking towards us.

"God, don't get your panties in a twist." I say.

Once I'm out of the kitchen the place died down a little. The annoying children and teenagers are gone and the man that was asking stupid questions finally left. I thought Becca would blow out on the children any minute.

"Closing time!" Ashely yells as we all clean up the mess from today.

We all gather into the locker room and start to head out the door. Once I am outside I decide to take out a cigarette. I could really use one right now.

I lean against a wall while blowing out smoke looking up at the dark gray sky. When there's gray skies and dark clouds I think of it as the bad side of the bright sunny days. It's almost like a reminder that even the sky has a dark side.

"Hey!" I hear a happy voice say causing me to turn my head.

"Go away Calum." I say blowing out more smoke.

"What's wrong?" he asks.

"You don't have to pretend anymore. I know you guys don't give a shit about me." I hiss.

"What are you talking about?" Calum asks while scrunching his eyebrows together.

"Don't give me that act. I know the truth about all of you guys. You all don't care about me. You guys think I'm a pain in the ass and you don't want me around because I always cause drama!" I yell at him.

"What? Ali what's gotten into you?" he asks.

"What's gotten into me? What's gotten into you! What was the point in pretending you guys like me if you hate me?" I ask walking up to him and pushing his chest.

"Ali, I swear I have no idea what you're talking about. We all do really care about you. Trust me." he says grabbing my wrists tightly so I don't push him again.

"Trust you? Calum, don't lie to me I'm not stupid. Luke told me everything." I say fiercely. His grip becomes looser as a confused look appears on his face.

"Ali-"

"Just shut it." I say yanking my wrists away from him.

"And leave me alone for now on." I say walking away from him making sure to bump my shoulder against his harshly.

As I walk towards my apartment I feel rain drop onto me. I guess I'm not the only one crying today.