Chapter Five - Bella

Edward didn't return for a while. The new girl, Bella, seemed to notice his absence more than the other students. It annoyed Rose every time she caught the human looking at them hoping to find Edward but she couldn't do anything about it. All Alison wanted to do was turn invisible, she was extremely uncomfortable around Rose when she was like this. She hoped Edward would come back soon, hopefully Rose would lighten up with him around. However, when Edward did return to school, it didn't seem to help anything.

Alison sat in the back of the class watching Edward as he interacted with Bella. It was slightly awkward and Alison couldn't understand why he was talking to her. She had forced Edward to leave and yet he was interested in her. It didn't sit right with Alison but she kept quiet and did her work. It surprised her that even as she got older she still sucked at school work so she let the genius sitting besides her do everything, not that he minded. He preferred for her to stay out of the way so that he could get them a perfect grade.

However, at the end of class, Edward didn't wait up on her. He left after Bella, probably to keep talking to her. She didn't care knowing that she had a pretty good handle on her thirst right now. She was more worried for Edward, she didn't want him getting close to a human, they were too fragile for their lifestyle. The whole situation was dangerous, she understood why Rose was getting annoyed the more they hung out. It didn't help that Edward saved her life either.

They were about to leave, go home. It was raining and the road was slick. Edward was being quiet, as usual, but he kept a firm gaze on Bella as she stood by her truck with headphones in her ears. Rosalie was trying to talk to him but Edward was ignoring her, again, as usual. Alison just wanted to get away, there was too much tension and drama building up between Bella, Edward and Rose, she didn't like it. Then it happened and everything changed.

A van cam skidding across the parking lot uncontrollably and right towards Bella. Before anybody knew what was happening, Edward was besides Bella, stopping the van and shielding her protectively. The rest of the Cullen siblings' eyes widened as they saw what happened.. They watched as Edward jumped onto the truck and then off of it walking towards the woods at a fast pace. The she watched as Rosalie slammed the door shut after getting into the car and speeding away.

"Come on, Alison" Alice said gently pulling the younger vampire into the remaining car to return home.

"This changes everything, doesn't it?" Alison questioned but no one answered her as they drove home. Once the arrived Alice explained what had happened during school, Esme didn't know how to feel. Edward had exposed himself, this was dangerous. They could have to move again, they had just came to Forks, they didn't want to uproot themselves and move so soon.

It wasn't until late when Carlisle, Rosalie and Edward returned home. Edward and Rose were in their rooms in a matter of seconds. Emmett went to his wife leaving the room empty with just Alison, Carlisle and Esme. Alice and Jasper had gone hunting almost an hour earlier.

"Are we going to have to move?" Alison questioned looking at Carlisle.

"No, I don't think so" Carlisle reassured her making Alison relax nodding.

"Is Bella.... Is she ok?" She asked slowly.

"She's fine, Edward got to her in time" He said making her nod again.

"What do we do now?" She asked never having been in this position before.

"No, you just go through the day as normal. If it becomes too dangerous then we will have to move but right now, I do not believe that it will be a problem" He said.

"Good, I'm glad" She said as it began to get awkward for her. "I'm just... gonna go" She muttered before speeding to her room. Esme smiled at where Alison once was lovingly. Out of all of her children, Alison was the one who acted most like a teenager. She couldn't help but to feel more protective over her than the others, she felt a stronger bond with her but that was with everybody in the family. They were all close with Alison, she just had the ability to draw people in and make them fall in love with her, genuinely.

"Can I come in?" Edward asked around 3 in the morning, knocking on Alison's door leaning in the doorway. She smiled at him nodding as she listening to some 80s music. He smiled at her choice before looking through her music collection.

"Are you ok?" She asked him hesitantly. He turned his head to her and gave her a small smile.

"I'm alright" He told her honestly. She nodded chewing on her lip. "How are you holding up?" He asked sitting on one of her chairs. "You seem to be doing well with school"

"It's getting easier" She admitted. "But the homework isn't" She said frustrated. Edward smiled moving so he was right besides her. He began helping her though it, teaching it to her in a way she could understand. "How are the Denali's?" She asked after they were done.

"Good, they miss you" He said getting comfortable. "Especially Irina, you seemed to really get her attached to you" He said and she smiled looking down at her lap.

"She's cool, I like hanging out with her" She said with a shrug. "She reminds me of my sister, Lucy, and a little bit like Alice" She said.

"Have you visited your family yet?" He asked knowing that she had grown up only a state away. All of her family still lived there.

"No, not yet" She told him. "I don't know why, I'm just hesitant" She told him. "I guess I'm nervous about what I'll see. I'm happy that they've moved on but it's still hard not being in their lives. I get scared that they don't remember me or talk about me. I just, don't want to see what I'm missing"

"They could never forget you" He told her. "You're not a person someone can easily forget. People, they love you when they meet you. I bet even the nomads you've met, still remember you and in a good way" He said.

"Well, I always try to leave a good impression on people. You never know when you might need a friend" She said to him and he nodded.

"You're family hasn't forgotten you, and we certainly will never forget you either" He said knowing it was something she was afraid of. She smiled at him sheepishly before they both just listened to the music.