Chapter Fifty Four - Loyalties

Bella is pregnant with Edward's child and now the wolves knew it. Embry ran right behind Jake hearing his loud thoughts mixed with his own. It wasn't long until the whole wolf pack knew about Bella. It made sense now, why Alison was keeping her distance for the last couple of weeks. But how could she stand by this? Was this even human? Or some demonic creature that will kill everything in their path. They've been up against mature vampires and they've been up against Newborns, but this was something new for everyone. Would it be able to control it's thirst? Will it want too? How many people will die because of it? That wasn't a question the wolves wanted to find out.

"Is it true, Jacob?"

"What is it?"

"It's growing fast"

"It's unnatural" The wolves thoughts mixed in with each others, it was hard to sort out who was who as they all gathered in the lumbar yard. Jake stood in the middle trying to wrap his head around this while the rest of the pack circled him. Embry stood off to the side silently, watching everything play out.

"We have to protect the tribe. What they've bred won't be able to control its thirst. Every human will be in danger" Sam said silencing everyone. Everyone seemed to agree while a few stayed silent. "We must destroy it before it's born" Sam said catching everyone's attention.

"You mean, kill Bella?" Seth asked coming up beside Jake.

"Her choice affects us all" Sam told him.

"Bella's human, our protection applies to her" Jake said sternly.

"She's dying anyway!" Leah pitched in. Jake didn't like that as he snapped at her, taking her to the ground. Embry watched them. This... thing, was dangerous. There was too many uncertainties. What if this thing was born and it got out of control? It could kill members of the pack, it could kill humans, it could kill his mother. Embry couldn't ignore the fact that this was extremely dangerous. It was too big of a risk to even consider protecting it. He couldn't look the other way with this, he is still a wolf and he is still apart of this pack. He has a duty to protect people who can't protect themselves.

"We have real enemies to fight tonight" Sam said breaking Leah and Jake up.

"Tonight?" Jake asked shocked he would move so soon.

"You will fight with us, Jake" Sam ordered forcing Jake to submit to him. The power of the Alpha was so intense it made the other wolves bow their heads and back away from them. Jake growled with his ears pinned back as he struggled against Sam's order.

"I. Will. Not" Jake growled back getting the strength to fight back against Sam. Sam was no match for Jake as the tables turned. Soon Jake was standing up forcing Sam to submit to him. "I am the grandson of Ephraim Black. I am the grandson of the chief! I wasn't born to follow you, or anyone else" He growled snapping at Jake before running off.

Everyone stood still shocked by what happened. Sam watched Jake run off, soon Seth followed him. Everyone looked at Embry expecting him to run off but he stood his ground. Sam looked at Embry as well, not sure if he could trust him or not.

"Where does your loyalty lie?" Sam asked stalking to Embry but Embry didn't submit to him.

"My loyalty will always be with Alison" He said making that clear. "But I have loyalty to the people, to the ones who can't protect themselves" He said thinking about his mother and how defenseless she was against the newborn. "I will fight besides you to destroy this thing" He said but he wasn't finished. "But if any harm comes to Alison you will not like what happens next" He growled not only looking at Sam but to the others making it absolutely clear that no harm comes to Alison no matter what the outcome is. If Alison gets even a scratch, he'll turn on them quicker than they can think.