Chapter Twenty Four - Laurent

Rose and Emmett were still in Seattle. Alison figured they were having a lot of alone time together. She was just glad she didn't have to listen to it, they were never the quietest couple in the family. At the moment Alison was just curled up on the couch reading a book. She had her hair in a messy bun with one of Embry's sweatshirts and a pair of sweatpants on. She was extremely comfortable but a scent brought her out of her thoughts.

She smelt something, something familiar but not at the same time. Alison stood up automatically turning invisible before racing towards a window. She looked outside seeing a dark skinned vampire outside. She froze as he looked around. His eyes were ruby red as he surveyed the house. She knew he would't find her but she couldn't help but to be curious. Why was he here? Who is he? He never entered the house and before she knew it he was gone. However, he left a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach.

She left the house, catching his scent and followed him. Before long his scent mixed with someone else's. This time she knew who's scent it was and it only made her even more nervous. He stopped at a field and Bella was there as well. In an instant Alison was besides Bella. She couldn't let her know she was here without alerting the vampire.

"Laurent?" Bella asked confused. Alison looked at Bella, how did she know this vampire?

"Bella" He replied. "I must admit, I didn't expect to find you here"

"I thought you were in Alaska with Carlisle's friend" Bella said.

"It was kind of him to arrange that, given my association with James and Victoria" Laurent said. Alison desperately tried to think of any information about him but nothing came to her. If Bella knew him then Alison had to have known him as well. "I went to visit the Cullens, but their house is empty. I'm surprised they left you behind. Weren't you sort of a pet of theirs?" He questioned.

"Something like that" Bella muttered.

"Do the Cullens..... visit often?" Laurent questioned.

"Absolutely. All the time" Bella said quickly. "I'll tell them you stopped by" She said and Alison looked at Laurent. She knew he didn't believe her. "Will they be able to reach you in Alaska?"

"I don't think so" Laurent said. "The family was pleasant enough.... but the dietary restrictions were difficult.. living on nothing but animals" He said. "But that's not why I left. I came back here as a favor to Victoria" Another vampire Alison couldn't remember.

"You're still friends" Bella muttered as Laurent got closer. Alison moved closer to Bella as well.

"More or less. She asked me to get the lay of the land with the Cullens. Because, well... I'm afraid Victoria is quite put out with you" He said.

"That's... too bad" Bella stuttered.

"Yes, she feels it's only fair to kill Edward's mate, given he killed hers. Eye for an Eye, mate for a mate" Laurent said.

"Edward will know who did it. He'll come after both of you" She threatened.

"I don't think he will. After all, how much could you mean to him if he left you here unprotected?" He suggested. "Victoria sent me here for information. She won't be happy about my killing you" He said and sped towards Bella but Alison shoved him back. He stood up looking around for the cause of the force. Alison stood in front of Bella putting her hand back on her arm to let her know she was here. Before Laurent could do anything else the wolves came. Alison showed herself. Sam was the first to come out growling with his ears forward. Soon the others joined him.

"Stay back, Bella" She muttered and Bella gripped Alison's arm tightly. Sam was the first to race after Laurent with the rest of the pack following him. Jake hung back looking at Bella but eventually left with the others. "Get on my back" She said grabbing Bella. Once Bella was secured Alison raced her back to her house. "Get inside, stay inside and out of the woods" Alison ordered before racing back to Emily's house.

"Alison, hey" Emily said as Alison walked in.

"Are they back yet?" Alison asked and Emily shook her head.

"No, why? What's going on?" She asked getting nervous.

"There was another vampire, he was after Bella for some reason" She said sitting down. "I know I've met him before but I just can't remember" She said frustrated. "If I could remember then I'd know what he was coming after her for." She said and then the pack came inside. Alison stood up relaxing when she saw Embry. "Laurent?" She asked.

"The vampire?" Embry questioned and she nodded.

"Gone and dead" Jared said smirking as he high fived Paul.

"Do you know him?" Sam questioned looking at her.

"I'm sure I did at one point" She said. "But I don't remember him"

"What do you mean? Do vampires have short term memory loss or something like that?" Paul asked smirking. Jared grinned letting out a laugh.

"Something like that" Alison muttered. Embry glared at the pare of them. "He said that he was sent by a woman, Victoria. She wants Bella because Edward killed her mate James"

"Pretty good for someone who can't remember" Paul muttered.

"Why don't you shut up?" Embry snapped glaring at him. Alison reached over grabbing his hand.

"That's all I know" Alison said before leaving.

"Was it something I said?" Paul asked and Jared just shrugged.