Chapter Thirteen - Him

"So she doesn't remember a thing?" Bella asked sitting on her bed looking at Edward as he stood besides the window. He shook his head and it was obviously bothering him.

"No, she doesn't remember her human life, she doesn't remember us, being a vampire, nothing. She didn't even remember her own damn name" He snapped closing his eyes.

"It's not your fault" Bella said and he looked at her a little too harshly.

"How is it not my fault? I should have never left you. But I did and I was seconds away from saving her and I was seconds away from saving you. I should have been faster, I shouldn't have been so stupid" He growled.

"Edward, it was out of your hands." She told him. "At least we're both still alive" She reassured. "There might be a chance of her memories coming back, she could remember. It might just take some time" She said but she was feeling her own guilt. She had been the one to put Alison in that position, she had been stupid enough to believe James had her mother, she had been stupid enough to leave Jasper and Alice.

Ever since Alison had woken up she had been extremely distant. Carlisle had told her everything and she had no idea how to handle it. She didn't know what to think or what to feel. She felt lost and she felt as if she were drowning without anybody to pull her above the water. She could tell that everybody cared about her, that everybody wanted to help her but she just wanted to get away. She didn't want anything to do with anybody.

She spent most of her time in the woods; hunting, thinking and hiding. None of them ever bothered her when she wanted to be alone. She was just glad that it was apparently summer so she didn't have to go to school which meant she could spend even more time on her own. No matter how hard she tried she couldn't remember a single thing. She couldn't remember her human family and she didn't know anything about this family either. The looks of pity and sadness only made her feel worse. There were moments when she wished they would have just thrown her in the fire with James, it seemed to be a better option than this.

A smell brought her out of her thoughts. It was terrible and she scrunched her nose up. However, it made her curious. She went closer to the smell when she saw a cliff and she remember being told not to go past it. She looked into the woods on the other side when suddenly a large brown wolf came into the clearing growling threateningly at her. She gasped taking a few steps back in horror but the wolf never crossed the line. She felt as if the wolf was warning her and she knew she wasn't going to piss it off more by crossing onto his side.

She looked away from the brown wolf and to a grey one. This one seemed nicer more curious. She smiled as they locked eyes. She suddenly felt at peace and calm for the first time since she woke up. She suddenly didn't feel as if she were drowning anymore, as if there was hope. The brown wolf growled at the grey one who growled back more fiercely. Annoyed, the brown wolf disappeared but the grey one stayed looking back at Alison.

Alison felt extremely tempted to cross the onto his side but remembered how much her family stressed about not doing it. So she just sat down on her side watching the wolf with interest. Suddenly he turned and left making Alison let out a sad sigh. She felt alone again and she didn't like it. She was about to get up to go wonder around some more when a boy come into light. She looked at him and smiled again getting the same feeling she had gotten from the wolf.

He was a very attractive person. It didn't help that he was shirtless as well which only made her more nervous around him, yet she was calm at the same time. She didn't understand her emotions but she liked what she was feeling. It felt nice to feel something different besides sadness and a sinking depression. She wanted to be closer to him but they couldn't get any closer than what they already were. She wanted to be around him more often if this was how she was going to feel with him.

"Hey" He said softly with a goofy grin on his face. She was absolutely beautiful. Her hair was pulled up in a pony tail and she had on some simple clothes but it was perfect for him. She smiled a little bit wider before giving him a wave.

"Hi" She said just as softly.

"You're a Cullen right?" He asked sitting on the edge of his side never looking away from her.

"Yea, Alison" She told him and he nodded.

"I'm Embry" He told her.

"You're that wolf, weren't you?" She asked and he nodded again. "I've never met a shapeshifter before" She told him.

"And I've never met a nice vampire... or any vampire that is" He said shrugging. She smiled looking down at the ground playing with her hands nervously. "What're you doing out here alone?" He asked her.

"I don't want to go home" She said looking at him. She felt as if she could trust him and she didn't know if that was a good thing or not.

"Why not?" He asked confused. "Do you not like it there?"

"Well... it's just... it's complicated" She said knowing it would be hard to explain to him. Besides, she didn't even think he'd want to listen anyways. He could tell that whatever it was it was bothering her and he didn't like that. He didn't like the fact that something was upsetting her or making her sad. He wanted to help.

"I've got all night" He told her with an encouraging smile. "You'll probably feel better if you talk it out" He said and she looked at him not knowing if she should or not.