Chapter Fifty Six - Changing Sides

"Embry, can I talk to you?" Tiffany asked sitting at the kitchen table. He had just gotten home and was heading to his room. His feet dragged across the carpet, his shoulders hunched over and he could barely keep his eyes open yet he knew he wasn't going to get much sleep.

"Can we talk later?" He asked tiredly. He had a sneaking suspicion about what she wanted to talk about, he did not want to get into that conversation.

"Please" Tiffany asked calmly giving him a pleading look. They both looked at each other before he slowly moved towards her collapsing in the chair looking at her. "Sweet heart, I'm worried about you" She said. Embry just remained silent. "What's going on? Talk to me"

"You don't need to know" He told her.

"Well if it's affecting you like this then I say, I should know" Tiffany said holding her ground.

"Mom, you wouldn't understand" He said running his fingers through his hair stress-fully.

"Try me" She said gently. "I'm doing pretty good at keeping up with your world" She said and he looked back up at her. "Why don't you start from the beginning alright? This all started almost a month ago. It wasn't bad at first but the past couple of weeks it suddenly was... just... bad" She said and Embry sighed. He felt bad for making her worry but none of this was her burden, only his.

"Don't worry about it, mom" He said forcing a smile. "It has nothing to do with you" He said trying not to be mean.

"It doesn't have to" She told him. "Just talk to me, please" She begged. "Why hasn't Alison come over in a while?" She asked and Embry froze. It was the first time anyone had said her name out loud in weeks. It hit him like a dozen semi trucks and his tiny threat that was holding him together broke. "Oh, baby" She said quickly going around the table, taking him into her arms as he cried.

The stress and the separation, it was getting to be too much for him. It had been proven again and again, his life was a living hell without Alison. He knew this was going to be hard, it was hard every time they were separated but the stakes were higher now. Tiffany held Embry as tightly as she could, ignoring how hot his skin was against hers. It took him a while to calm down but when he did, he felt slightly, better.

"Want to tell me what's going on now?" She asked softly pulling away from him. His eyes were bloodshot and his cheeks were soaking wet. He sniffled and rubbed his eyes slightly embarrassed to cry in front of her. However, he soon found himself unloading every tiny bit of information to her. It wasn't exactly in order, just whatever came to mind making it slightly difficult for her to keep up but she did her best.

"I just... I miss her so damn much" He said coming to an end. She felt so bad for him she didn't scold him for cursing.

"Embry" She began but stopped to think. "If the baby comes out and it's not what the Cullen's think, then I don't think that anyone will fight to keep it alive. But if it comes out as a child, then shouldn't it get a chance at life?" Tiffany asked but Embry didn't say anything. Tiffany sighed as she thought about what to say next. "When I was pregnant with you, I was absolutely terrified." She said getting Embry's attention. Tiffany had never told him about her being pregnant with him, nothing. "My family wanted nothing to do with me and... your father obviously wasn't a good man" She said and he wanted to know more. "I was all alone without anyone to help me. I gave birth to you and I raised you all alone" She said and Embry looked down slightly. "My father wanted me to get rid of you and get back on track with my life but I wasn't about to do that, I already loved you with all of my heart the moment I knew you were growing inside of me" She said smiling widely. "Seeing you know, I don't regret a single thing" She said grabbing is hand. "I can only imagine how terrified Bella is. Sure she has her family on her side but we don't really know what is inside of her, she clings to hope that it's a beautiful child. I think you should give her that chance to find out. No one can understand a mothers love for her child, I know Bella is already in love with him or her. Give her a chance to have this child, give her a chance and if it works out you'll be glad you did. And if it doesn't, then that creature is severely outnumbered and can be destroyed instantly" She said.