Chapter Sixty Eight - Bonfire

"That's what I'm talkin about" Jake said grinning excitedly as Benjamin lit the bonfire. Embry grinned beside him as well equally excited. "A little pre-battle bonfire. Telling war stories" Jake said making Alison laugh at both of them.

"Or just stand there like a bunch of frickin statues" Embry said looking at the majority of the vampires. However, there was one vampire who loved boasting about his victories.

"Name any American Battle, I was there" Garrett said appearing out of nowhere.

"Little Bighorn" Jake said coming up with one.

"I came this close to biting Custer... but the Indians got him first" Garrett said smirking. Before long Kate appeared sitting on his lap.

"Try Oleg's assault on Constantinople. He didn't win that one on his own" She said turning to give Garrett a look. Alison looked around seeing vampires spending time with their loved ones. They all knew that there was a high possibility that there would be a fight tomorrow, a fight where not everyone would walk away from.

"Hey" Alison turned smiling at Bree. Alison gave her a side hug rubbing her arm.

"How're you feeling?" She asked looking down at her.

"I'm nervous" She said and Alison nodded.

"You know, if you don't want to go tomorrow, no one will think differently of you" She said knowing Bree was still just a kid. However, she wasn't going to force Bree to go or to stay, this is a decision she had to make for herself.

"I couldn't imagine being anywhere else" Bree said smiling up at her. "I want to be right beside my family, not hiding at home. I want to do my part to protect Nessie" She said.

"I'm proud of you" Alison whispered kissing the top of her head. "How're you and Leah doing?" She questioned. Bree turned her head seeing Leah with her brother listening to the stories the vampires were telling. A couple of seconds later, Leah turned her head and gave Bree a small smile before turning away.

"We're working on it" She said nodding. "I'm just glad she's not ignoring me anymore."

"I'm rooting for you" Alison said nudging her making Bree laugh a little bit.

"You know, if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have this chance" She said seriously. "This chance to find the love of my life, to have a real family. You gave me everything I've ever wanted and I can't thank you enough" She said looking at Alison.

"You're welcome" She said. "Now go relax, enjoy the bonfire" She said giving her a light push towards the bonfire. Bree grinned before sitting beside Leah.

"Why don't you go join them?" Edward asked coming beside her.

"I haven't really been giving Embry a lot of time with Jake. So, I thought I'd give the boyfriends some time alone" She said grinning at the two of them who looked eager to hear the stories. Edward laughed a little bit shaking his head.

"Thank you" He said and she gave him a curious look. "I know I haven't been the easiest brother" He said making her laugh. He rolled his eyes but continued to smile. "I know, I know... but despite all the shit I've put you through, here you are." He said and she shrugged.

''I like the neighborhood" She said and he grinned.

"You've done more for my family than I could ever hope to do and I am sorry for all the shit I put you through" He said and she smiled at him.

"You're my brother, of course you're going to put me through shit" She said and he smiled at her. "But you never gave up on me when I was a newborn and despite everything we've been through we're still family." She told him. "Just remember, I'm not the same quiet girl you seem to think I am. I'm not about to let you get away with shit"

"Oh, believe me, I know" He said nodding. She smiled before giving him a hug. "You should probably go to Embry, I can hear his thoughts... he's getting really nervous about tomorrow" He whispered to her before letting him go. She smiled at him nodding before walking over to Embry. Embry looked up seeing her coming to him. He grinned shoving Jake to the side to make room for her. Jake just rolls his eyes.

"Hey" Embry said and she smiled sitting beside him. "Got any cool stories?" He asked an she shook her head.

"No, I can't really think of any. You're apart of every story" She said knowing she had no new stories for him to hear. He smiled kissing her forehead.

"Oh, god, they make me want to throw up" Cassandra mumbled to Ruby as they stood away from everybody.

"You've been slacking, Cassandra" Ruby said looking at her. "Leon won't be happy when he finds out the wolf is still all over her" Cassandra clenched her jaw glaring at the couple who cuddled by the fire.

"Well it's not exactly easy, Ruby" She growled. "They're always together and with so many other people around, it's hard"

"Leon isn't going to care if it is hard or if it is easy. What he cares about is results" She snapped. "And if you fail him again-"

"I know" Cassandra growled glaring at her companion. However, a smirk appeared on her face.

"What?" Ruby questioned curiously.

"What if we can get him killed during the fight tomorrow?" She questioned.

"Leon specifically said that neither of them can die" Ruby reminded her. "If he dies, she is basically a shell of a person. We need to separate them, not kill them. If either of them dies tomorrow, it'll be both of our heads"