Chapter Nine - Nomads

Baseball. Something Alison never really enjoyed until she was a vampire. She could remember her father and brothers listening to games on the radio, every now and then they'd go to see one in person. She never liked getting sweaty, she enjoyed staying where it was cooler and not so physically straining. Being a vampire, she didn't have to worry about sweat nor getting tired. Besides, vampire baseball is so much different than human.

"Bella's here" Alison said to no one in particular as she and Edward got out of the car and began to make their way towards them.

"Good thing you're here. We need an umpire" Esme said as Emmett wrapped his arm around Alison's neck as they walked past Esme and Bella.

"She thinks we cheat" Emmett said with a smirk on his face.

"I know you two cheat" Esme said with a grin as Emmett and Alison continued walking away. "Call em as you see em, Bella" Esme said before the game got started.

"It's time" Alice said with a smile as thunder sounded through the sky. Rose steps up to the plate and swings as Alice throws the ball down to Esme. Alison watches as it flies through the air.

"That has to be a home run" Bella said as the ball was already in the woods.

"Edward's very fast" Esme said waiting for the ball to come in as Rose rounds the bases. Alison grins as the ball flies back towards Esme who catches it as Rose slides to home plate.

"Your out" Bella said causing Emmett to cheer. Rose stands up glaring at Bella.

"Oh, come on babe, it's just a game!" Emmett shouted to her. Carlisle is the next at bat. He drives the ball right in between Emmett and Edward. Neither one calls the other off causing them to collide together and the ball to fall to the ground. Eventually the ball comes to Alison but Carlisle is already safe on base. Alison tosses it to Alice who pitches to her husband, Jasper.

"Stop!" Alice shouted. "I didn't see them coming" Alice said as they all came together. "They were leaving but they heard the game" Alice said feeling terrible for not seeing it sooner.

"Put your hair down" Edward said from besides Bella.

"Like that'll help. I could smell her from across the field" Rose said.

"Come on, Rose, knock it off" Alison muttered before giving Bella a reassuring smile.

"I shouldn't have brought you here... I'm so sorry" Edward said regretfully.

"Just stay behind us" Alison muttered giving Bella her jacket hoping that it would help mask her scent. Edward smiled at Alison gratefully before the three stranger vampires came into view.

"I believe this belongs to you" One of the vampires said holding up the baseball. He tosses it to Carlisle.

"Thank you" Carlisle said with a smile.

"I am Laurent. This is Victoria and James" He introduced but they honestly couldn't care less, they just wanted to get Bella out of here.

"I'm Carlisle and this is my family" Carlisle said politely. "I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us" He said.

"Our apologies. We didn't realize the territory had been claimed" Laurent said.

"Yes, well we maintain a permanent residence near by" Carlisle told them.

"Really?" Laurent questioned surprised. Not many vampire covens have permanent residences, almost none of them did. "Well we won't be a problem anymore, we were just passing through"

"The humans were tracking us but we led them east, you should be safe" The woman, Victoria, explained.

"Excellent" Carlisle said nodding.

"So, could you use three more players?" Laurent questioned. The Cullen's were hesitant. "Oh come on, one game" He said with a grin on his face.

"Why not?" Carlisle questioned. "A few of us were leaving, you can take their place. We'll bat first" Carlisle said tossing the ball back. Victoria extended her arm grabbing the ball.

"I'm the one with the wicked curve ball" She said with a wicked grin.

"Oh, well I think we can handle that" Jasper said accepting the challenge. However, before anybody could go far the wind shifted. Even with Alison's jacket, James was able to smell Bella.

"You brought a snack" He smirked going towards Bella but the Cullen's shielded her.

"The girl is with us" Carlisle said sternly. "I think it's best if you leave"

"I can see the game is over. We will go now" Laurent said backing up. Victoria was the next to follow but James was more reluctant. "James" Laurent said sternly. They were obviously outnumbered and would not win. Staring at Edward one last moment he stood up before wrapping his arm around Victoria walking away.

*Comment your thoughts, feels and predictions!*