Chapter 22

So sorry for the long wait. I have been very busy with my studies.
🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

I hope you guys enjoy this chapter. Have a wonderful day!!!

############################

After her introduction, she just stood there no doubt assessing each and every one of us there. Some of us stole glances that lasted not more than a second. We were afraid to took, but we needed to know why it was so silent.

The curiosity weighed down on us.

Minutes passed before she spoke her very first words.

"I see that you're all very......well mannered but I hope you understand that I strive for perfection. Nothing less." She spoke calmly but there was something sinister in the way she spoke.

She spoke out the general rules after that. I wasn't sure why, but she did it and all of it was the same.

We already knew.

Ms.Odelle looked like a timid little child standing next to her,  not talking at all.

Once she was done Henri immediately went towards her. Head down. She gave a bow but Lady Esther didn't wait for Henri to straighten up. She immediately walked towards the stairs, heading towards her quarters.

After her form disappeared, we spread out. Our work still had to be completed for that day.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I reached up to the tips of my toes to hang all of the Princes' shirts and coats. It was a tiring task indeed.

I still didn't know why I couldn't get used to laundry??!

Right after I hanged the last coat I closed his wardrobe and rested my back on it. I didn't have any strength left at that point. I was also praying that he wouldn't do anything with me tonight.
On the other hand, too much hope only resulted in painful disappointments.

With that thought in mind I walked to the kitchen to get his dinner. I dreaded every meal time because I was too afraid of running into Alex. I couldn't bear to see that particular look on his face every time he saw me after our argument. It hurt.

I slowed down my steps as I got closer to the cooking area. After turning around a few times, I knew he wasn't there. I quickly reached for the tray and went the other direction.

I walked in His chambers and left the tray on the table, then set up everything. Then I waited.

And waited.

He didn't come.

I didn't want to risk anything so I waited a while longer.

Still, he didn't show up. It was already nine. Since we only had to work until that time, I began to put back everything on the tray. My feet ached from standing too long. I waited for an hour and a half if not more.

I made a trip to the kitchen again and left the tray where I was supposed to.

Work was over for the day.

As I neared the stairs, intending to go down to the servants' quarters, I heard someone cry out in pain. It was a girl and the sound wasn't far. I quickly ran up following the sound of the woman's voice. Apparently it was a floor above the Dark Prince's room.

I quickened my pace as the screams got louder. I followed the voice until I stood before the source. What I saw made my stomach churn.

Henri was kneeling on the ground holding her left cheek. Blood was dripping from her arm and chin. Before her, stood Lady Esther. Her burning gaze set on a weak Henri. "You worthless slave! You couldn't even do one simple task. They had actually assigned the worst among you to serve me!" she laughed bitterly.