sixteen | 16

bro·ken

~ Trigger Warning: Mentioning of self harm.

Céline.

"So Cece, what's new with Harry?" My sister asked, just before she took a sip from her coffee. Both of her hands were wrapped around the mug, as she peered up at me. 

It was Thursday evening and the two of us sat together on the small balcony of my apartment. Luckily, today was a time that we both were free enough to spend some quality sister-to-sister time. Hazel was picked up by her grandparents today since they missed her. One would generally think that they spend time together on the weekends, but apparently the two were going away, so they took their granddaughter in for the rest of the day and night. They loved to spend time with her — then again, who wouldn't?

It wasn't rare that my sister and I actually had time to ourselves, but it wasn't too often. We took it as an opportunity to further bond together as sisters. I loved the times we had. They had a special place in my heart and I couldn't be more thankful for that.

"He's still alive." I answered, mimicking her action.

"That's not what I mean and you know that." She let out a short laugh, unamused by my sarcasm. "Talk to me."

"What is there to talk about? We practically sit together in silence for the most part and we occasionally talk. He's still confusing as fuck and —"

"You still want to know more about him." She interrupted for me, finishing my thoughts.

"Yeah." I sighed. "I just don't understand it. He has so much inside him and I want him to let it out. It seems like whatever it is, he hasn't told a soul in months."

"Okay, Cece, you're not a psychologist though. You have to find out what it is."

"That's the thing, I don't specifically want to know it, whatever it is, but I just want him to feel that it's okay to trust someone to be able to let go of what's bothering him. I know it's not just one thing, but a multiple load of things."

"How do you know that? How do you know what he's feeling?"

"It's not something anyone can just read, but I have this vibe to know if someone's being true or not — whether it's to the world or themselves."

"Like how you finally gave me the benefit of the doubt?"

"Exactly. I mean seriously Josie, if a stranger showed up at your front door, telling you that their related to you, wouldn't you be a bit skeptical?"

"I guess, yeah."

"That's my point. Not even just any relation, but a sibling. You've heard what I've gone through and it's easy enough to say that —"

"You don't trust someone easily." Josie finished for me, yet again.

"Yeah." I nodded with a sad smile.

"But hey, now we have each other. You know you can tell me and do anything and I won't judge you; and —"

"I'll do the same for you." I completed, with a small laugh.

"Now that's my sis." She winked, knowing our mutual truth.

Josephine wasn't just my sister, she was my best friend. No matter how close I was with Lena, in my eyes, the sibling bond I have with Josie could never be compared to it. Though, there was only one other person that might be a tad higher than her; and of course, that person is Hazel.

They say that friendship can sometimes be stronger than a blood relationship; it's true to an extent. In my eyes, there were only two that filled that category. Any other extended family we shared, clearly wanted nothing to do with us — and we were okay with it. As long as we had each other, nothing else mattered.