Chapter 1

Adelaide

I'm running and running, I have been running for ages now. When will I make it there?

"Come on honey, keep going you can do it. Don't look back," I can hear mom saying over and over again.

Wait, mom? Why can I hear mom? Why am I running? Where am I running to?

"Mom where are you? Please help me! I can't run anymore," Silence.

I keep running, I can't stop running. My feet are bleeding. All the stones under me are cutting my feet. I try to stop but it is like my body is moving on its own.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, I'm standing on the edge of an iceberg in the middle of the ocean. I am about to take a step back from the edge when suddenly the ice broke and I fall into the ice-cold water.

"WHAT THE HELL!"

I wake up from the dream and feel myself drenched in ice-cold water

"Get up you lazy wench! Breakfast has already been served, and since you weren't there to prepare it with the servants, you will clean everything and no one is to help you! Is that clear?"

"Yes, your majesty," I say and bow my head.

This is how I'm treated every day, like a slave by my stepmother and her daughters. If I don't obey, I get a beating from my father. I don't understand why my father hates me. He was the one who made my mom pregnant even though his wife was already pregnant. Yes, you heard that right. My father cheated on his wife, the queen, with my mom.

I get up from my bed and go down to the kitchen where the servants were cleaning.

"Hi, Adelaide my dear," Elenor, the cook, says. She is the only one in this whole castle who is nice to me.

"Hi, El," I smile. "I didn't see you at breakfast honey, do you want some now?" She starts preparing a plate for me.

I love El. She has always been there for me and loving me even though my own blood doesn't love me. I sit down on a chair and put the plate on my lap and eat, since I don't want to sit at the dining hall.

"You disobedient little bitch! Why are you eating when I clearly told you to clean the kitchen and dining hall without any help?" She takes the plate from my lap and throws it on the ground.

"Pick it up!"

I want to tell her to go to hell, but I know better than that, just looking at her the wrong way would get me in the dungeon for days without food or water.

"Don't make me go get your father," I get up from the chair and start cleaning while she looks down on me with her hands on her hips.

She then lets all the servants go attend to other matters and leaves me cleaning everything, from scrubbing the floor to the windows.

Just when I am about to finish, Elenor comes in carrying a sugar bread with a little candle on it while singing.

"Happy birthday to you..."

I've forgotten it was my birthday. I am turning 18 today.

"Elenor you didn't have to that! Thank you," I hug her.

"It's the least I can do honey, I'm so sorry you had to work even on your birthday," she hugs me tighter.

"Now blow the candle and make a wish."

I look at the candle not knowing what to wish for. I blow out the candle wishing for everything to get better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope you enjoyed this chapter.
If you did, please give this chapter vote
See you in the next chapter