Disagreeing With Each Other

"So, what are your hobbies?" my dad asked. "There's a ton," I laughed, as I started to think about all the things I enjoy doing. "My most favorite things to do is reading, drawing, cooking, and listening to music," I said. "You like to draw?" my dad asked, and I nodded. "So you still draw after all these years," he seemed proud. "Huh?" I gave a rather confused look. "When you were younger, you enjoyed drawing with me," he put his plate down before standing up. Then he pulled out a couple of papers. "You saw me drawing one day, and would always want to draw with me. Though they weren't the best, you were young after all, they always motivated me to work harder for you," he showed me the drawings. They were typical drawings any little kid would draw. A drawing of family members as stick figures with many colors. A butterfly whose wings were also full of colors. I smiled at the drawings. "You were a drawer as well?" I asked, as I looked up at my dad. My dad nodded, "I still am." "Really, can I see some of your art?" I asked, interested. He smiled shyly, "I'm sure you're better than me. You don't need to see my bad drawings." I quickly shook my head, "You're my dad. I would love to see your drawings, and I'll never judge you." He stared at me for a while before laughing. "Okay, fine," he went back to where he got my drawing. He placed the papers back, and pulled out a sketchbook. I watched as he flipped through papers after papers. He seemed hesitant to show me them. "Let me see," I held out my hand. He looked at me, and stared down at his sketchbook. "I'm sure it's better than what I can draw, you've had a lot of experience," I gave a reassuring smile. With a faint smile, he hesitated to hand me his sketchbook. I started with the first page. "I-It's not really good," he quickly said. "No way! This looks amazing!" I looked at it, amazed. I started to flip through the pages, taking as long as a minute to stare at it. My dad was an amazing artist. Eventually I had reached the end of the sketchbook. "You're so good! I'm jealous!" I handed back the sketchbook. "You're kidding, I bet you're way better," he said shyly.

"Not at all, your art style is so detailed. I'm half as detailed as you are," I said. My dad looked happy that I complimented his art. "I don't get why you were so scared to show me. You're such an amazing artist. You should draw me something someday!" I said rather excited at the idea. He smiled brightly, "Sure, anything for my beautiful daughter." "But first, I want to see your art," he put the sketchbook away, and went back to eat. I pulled out my phone, and started searching for some of my drawing. "They aren't as good as yours, but I like them," I informed before showing him. His mouth dropped wide open once he saw it. "Did you really draw this?" he asked in shock. I nodded while laughing a little because of how surprised he looked. "You're so talented, definitely more talented than I am!" he seemed so certain. "Not at all, you have more skill than I do," I shook my head. "Look at this!" he turned around my phone to show me my art, he wasn't backing down. I wasn't going to either, I disagreed. We went back in forth with disagreeing with one another. Eventually, we burst into laughter together. "How's your mother?" he asked after we had a while to calm down. I silently sat there, I continued to eat as I remembered the encounter with her. "She's been fine..." I mumbled. All this hard work for the family, and my mom is off kissing another guy. "Has she moved on...?" my dad slowly asked. I could tell that he wanted to know, but I was too afraid. Honestly, I didn't want to tell him. "Do you really want to know?" I asked. He slowly, yet unsurely, nodded. "Okay... she moved on," that's all I wanted to end it off with. "Oh... well, I'm not mad. She has the right to. After all, I was the one who left her," with his words, I could tell he was hurting. I was about to stand up, and hug him but then he changed the subject.

"So, tell me about your school life," my dad said, "Or are you already out of school?" "I'm already out of school, and I have a job as well," I replied. "You really have grown," he sighed with disappointment. "How about you tell me about your past school experience. How was elementary school?" he asked. I sat there, as I thought about what had happened, and how I lost interest in friends. "It wasn't as fun... I got bullied by people I thought were my friends during first grade," I said. He looked at me, sorrow filled his eyes. He looked sorry for me. "I-I'm sorry to hear that... did your mother help?" he asked. I shook my head. "She never did. Mom was an alcoholic, and would only hurt me as well," I answered. He looked like he was about to cry. I could tell that he was going to break down crying. "I'm such a horrible father... you had to deal with all of that alone? If I knew you had to go through that, I would've never left," he quickly embraced me after putting his plate down. "When I was framed for something I didn't do... I stopped making friends, and started depending on nature to make me happy," I continued, as I patted his back. I knew I should have stopped, but something in me wanted to continue my story. "I never had friends until college year," I smiled at the thought. "They were amazing people, dad. I was afraid at first, but they lasted with me for a long time," I said. "I'm so sorry that you had to go through all that... I wish I was there to help you. You've grown beautifully, Y/N. I'm glad that you were able to find friends who love you," my dad's voice cracked. "Don't worry dad, it wasn't your fault. I fought by myself," I assured. "Life throws challenges at times, and we need to face them head on. I'm glad that, after all those years, I was able to make it so far. I'm sure you can agree that you've been through tough times," I said. "It was always tough not being able to see you," my dad replied.

I hoped you enjoyed!
~XutieMiako