third april

It's April and after Holt's last exam, when he's finally done with college, I throw him a big party.

I invite all of his friends and some of mine too and for one night I'm back to my old party self. I missed him. Living his life was so much easier.

Eloise is there too and every time I leave a room and come back I see her making out with a different guy. How I love my floozy sister.

When the party is still in full mode I start looking for Holt and I can't find him and everybody is a little too drunk to really know what's going on.

Finally, I find him drunk and sitting on the floor of the bathroom, laughing by himself.

I walk up to him, and crouch in front of him. "You alright there Holt?"

"I fell on my ass," he answers still laughing, throwing his head back.

I chuckle. "Yeah, I can kind of see that."

"It was funny."

I nod, smiling at him. What an adorable drunk? "I'm sure it was. You need help?"

Holt stops laughing and looks me dead in the eyes. "Do you think I'll be alright?" Holt asks me suddenly.

I frown a little. "What do you mean?"

"Well, no one is going to be helping me now. My real adult life is starting and I've got no one backing me up and it's kind of scary and why is it a quarter past something? A quarter is twenty five cents so why is it fifteen minutes?"

Oh Holt, my beautiful mess. I ignore his last inquiry, I'll tease him about it later, and tell him, "what are you talking about, you're not alone Holt. You have me."

I see so much joy and hope in his drunken eyes when I say that, that it takes all of my self control not to hug him. "Really?"

Instead I just press a hand to his shoulder. "Of course, I'll be there to help you and cheer you on. Isn't that what best friends are for?"

He's still smiling. Honestly, he looks like he might actually cry. That little bitch better not start crying because otherwise I'm done for. "You mean that?"

"Of course you doofus. Now let me help you up." I get back up and give him my hand.

He still smiles at me as he takes it.