sixth january

It's January and I take Holt out on a date.

"You know what sucks with living together? I can't start throwing different outfits to see what works and be able to surprise you at the same time," Holt is telling me while changing his shirt for the fourth time.

He's adorable. Adoooorable.

"Smooches, anything you wear that's dressier than normal is usually mine, so you're a complete loss cause," I remind him, "You know I haven't seen my leather jacket in years."

He gives me a little smirk. "Your leather jacket? I think you meant to say my leather jacket."

"That is exactly what I said."

He chuckles. "You know what I meant!"

After a few more attempts at finding the right outfit, we head out.

I don't take him to some kind of fancy French restaurant because I know that's not the kind of thing where he would feel comfortable. I bring him to an all you can eat buffet.

After we're done eating, we go to an arcade. I think about my father who has always been adamant about the fact that his first date with my mom was at an arcade. Mom always says he's a lunatic when he says that, but I think it's kinda cute.

Holt and I are pretty competitive dudes, and by kinda a mean it's a miracle we haven't killed each other after game night, so arcade is just a recipe for disaster.

I love it.

We keep arguing and challenging ourselves at every game and whining and victory dancing all over the place.

Some of the kids there keep giving us nasty stares because we're being ridiculous.

We're like two giggling school girls that have a naughty secret.

I never dreamt I could be this happy.

I can't understand why I needed Ben to be my boyfriend so much, when Holt is clearly the only one that would have ever worked. I know it's kind of sappy to think that, but I was really only meant to be with Holt. Anyone else would be wrong.

We stay at the arcade until closing hour.

As we head outside, Holt tells me, "thanks."

I smile at him. "For what?"

"For this, for tonight. I know this couldn't be your idea of a perfect date, you would have probably rather we'd gone to a museum or something..."

I nudge him with my shoulder. He really needs to stop underestimating how much I want to be with him all the time, regardless of the activity. "I actually had a lot of fun too. Any date that I have with you Holt is a perfect date. You must know that by now."

He smiles a little, looking at his shoes. "Well, thank you. I really had a great time."

"I had a great time too."

We walk side by side, all the way to the car, the back of our hands brushing against each other with each step.