third june

It's June and my grandmother passed away.

She was actually my father's stepmom, not his real mom. His mother died when he was a teenager, so I've never known the real one.

It doesn't make it any less tragic. This is my grandma. And her death came so suddenly that we didn't have time at all to prepare ourselves.

Holt comes with me to the funeral and grandpa is still mumbling about me brining my boyfriend. At every Thanksgiving he's made a point of mumbling about my boyfriend. Grandma used to be there to hit him with her purse. Now I'm the one that needs to remind him that Holt is not my boyfriend. Like it's a fun thing to be reminded. Like I need something else to feel down right now.

I think back to when my grandfather on my mom's side passed away a few years ago and grandma was there basically cradling everyone in her arms and making us feel better. I know you shouldn't have favourites, but I definitely prefer my mother's side of the family.

Anyway, I know grandpa's favourite is Eloise. It's easy to guess. I'm here wearing sensible shoes while he can go to the shooting range with her and talk about football. She can flooze as much as she likes, that kind of sinning is alright in his book. My kind is a disgrace though. But he won't ever admit that out loud. He thinks it, I absolutely know it. Why else did my relationship completely shift when I came out?

Grandma was there to sort of filter him, but now that she's dead, I guess Thanksgiving is going to be rough.

Eloise decides to stick around and stay with grandpa for a couple of weeks after the funeral, to cheer him up.

I do no such thing. I'm pretty sure having me around isn't going to comfort him.

So I go back home and I'm grateful that my father didn't turn out like his father.