fourth march

It's March and I meet my sister's boyfriend.

We decided to have a game's night with our friends and she's agreed that it was finally time to introduce him to everyone.

I've seen most of m sister's hook-ups. I've seen her best and worse decisions when it comes to men. Our father always said that we have similar taste when it comes to men and that they are appalling.

My sister's new boyfriend is like no one she's ever dated.

I'm vain so I can't help but notice that he doesn't have the usual trademark killer bod. He looks a bit chubby, like he'll be comfortable to lean against. He doesn't look like he'll suddenly break into a dance and take his clothes off, he looks like he'll build you a cabinet with his flannel shirt and his beard.

He looks like a dad. Not an old dad, of course, he's our age, but a dad nonetheless.

And I absolutely adore him.

One evening is enough to totally see why my sister fell for him. I don't mean I have any interest in him, but I mean that I'm completely supporting my sister's decision to date him.

He's the nicest guy she's ever dated. He's nice, he's funny, he's got a dad's bod, so he makes dad's jokes and it's kinda hilarious, and everyone is automatically comfortable with him and he fits in our little group of friends immediately.

And the way he looks at my sister, and the way she looks at him, it almost makes me want to cry. I'm so happy for them.

We tease them all evening long because of how sickeningly sweet they are.

I tease them a lot and so at one point, Eloise says, "What about you Eliah, when are you finally going to get yourself a boyfriend."

"A boyfriend? What? Are you saying he's gay?" Holt says in mock horror and he's making a face and then he sticks his tongue out at me and I flip him off.

Everyone's laughing around the table and I just roll my eyes and say "Shut up Holt. As a matter of fact I have kind of met someone," I announce.

Everyone starts fussing and asking questions all at once.

Except Holt, he's not joking anymore.

"Why is this the first time I'm hearing of this?" Eloise asks.

"Because it's new and I'm no sure about what it is yet."

I've been seeing Ben every week since we've met at the bar at least once. We haven't exactly gone on a date though, usually I just go to his place and we have frantic sex. But after, we'll order food and watch something ridiculous on Netflix together, like we try to find the worst movies, and it's kinda fun and he still looks at me like I'm fascinating and beautiful and interesting. I still feel wanted.

But we haven't defined what our relationship is yet. I haven't pushed it because I don't want him to turn me down. I want to keep seeing him, and if that means that he's seeing other people at the moment, I'll still take it. I don't think so, I hope he doesn't, but I'm not about to make a scene about it.

I don't say all of this to my friends. I give them a condensed, PG-13 version of how we met and what's going on with us and everyone is happy for me and squealing.

I kinda feel giddy too.

"Next game night you have to bring him along," Eloise says.

"We'll see," I tell her, smiling.

Everyone is smiling and loud around the table, everyone one except... Holt?