seventh april

It's April and Holt and I are walking the Great Wall of China

We couldn't possibly make a documentary about walls without adding this one in.

It's my first time in China. I always wanted to visit it because of Mulan. Growing up, Mulan was my favourite Disney movie, because for a glorious second there, Captain Li was gay. I don't care that she was a girl, Captain Li was beginning to have the hots for someone he thought was a dude and that's that.

Another favourite of mine was She's the Man. Sure okay, Duke aka smexy Channing Tatum might not have fallen in love with Amanda's cross-dressing character, but Olivia totally fell in love with Viola. Olivia might have thought Viola was a dude, but she fell in love with her smile. Olivia fell in love with a girl, not with Sebastian. I've had very heated argument with my sister about this.

Holt and I woke up super early to get a good day's worth of film. The sky is really gray though, and it's super foggy.

I told Holt that maybe we should film another day, when it's sunny, but Holt was completely against it. He said it would make good shots.

He's right. There aren't a lot of people because there's very light rain now and then and it's still very foggy.

The sight is breathtaking.

I'm still not sure how we'll be using all of our footage and how we'll tell the story. I'm not even sure what story we'll be telling yet, but I just know that walking on this path, on this wall that took so many years to built, that so many people gave their life to build and to protect, a construction that you can see even from outer space, whatever story we end up telling, it will be worth it.

I kept walking, but Holt has started to lag behind me. I turn around to look at him. I think he's filming me, or at least, the camera is pointed in my direction.

"What are you doing?" I ask him.

Holt smiles at me, a breathtaking smile. "I'm having a very Twist and Shout moment."

"Have you finally realized the depth of your love for me?" I tease him, walking back to him. "Because I want you to know I'm not writing you letters, we'll both die on a Thursday."

"Don't move."

"What?"

Holt doesn't explain but puts his camera on the border wall. I'm worried that if he leaves it there it might fall or get stolen. There's a couple maybe a hundred feet behind us and a group of people fifty feet in front of us though, so we should have time to grab it if they come close.

Still, as Holt puts his camera down I tell him, "That's a dangerous move."

He grins back at me. "What can I say, I'm a daredevil."

"Does that mean you'll start wearing leather suits? I'm not a hundred percent against that."

"Shut up," Holt laughs and then says "We have ten seconds," and then he runs to me. I'm too surprise to do anything when he grabs my face and kisses me with a smile.

"Sometimes it's better to enjoy the moments rather than just film them, but other moments are definitely worth preserving," he tells me, letting go of my face.

I'm grinning like an idiot. "You romantic cutie."

Holt takes back his camera, looks at it a little with a smile, and start walking and filming again.

I follow behind him.